Monday, June 28, 2010

How To Fix The Oscars... Advice From Wimbledon

You probably don't know this but I love tennis. So this afternoon I was reading about Wimbledon and saw Towleroad's account of Novak Djokovic ripping his shirt off after a win.

Novak Djokovic

This is a common sports occurrence (see also soccer i.e. football and swimming events oh, right. uh...) and we enjoy it and think that people should do this at the Oscars, too.

Shouldn't the thrill of victory always* prompt people to tear their shirts off? I mean, consider recent Oscar wins...



Such dramatic possibility.

(And not just because those gowns would be dangerous when dismantled. So much flying beading.)

Maybe that's all the "fix" the Oscars need?

*Exception: The only thing I've ever won was a spelling bee in junior high. I did not rip my shirt off. But spelling is not sexy like tennis or movies!
*

14 comments:

Ryan T. said...

Haha. People who know me know I'm obsessed with tennis so yay for you making a tennis-related post.

In any case, that would add a much needed energy at the Academy Awards. Though I'm guessing for winners such as Mirren or Winslet, the act of disrobing would probably be too passé for them.

NATHANIEL R said...

Mirren will ALWAYS fish out her teats. It's never passé. Though it's true that it's kind of redundant with the female winners.

Philip said...

Hahaha. Love it. I wish.

ShoNuff Lives said...

this will inspire tilda swinton & helen mirren to dress see-thru at the oscars. very proud.

does this mean we need to find something for gerard butler to actually act in?

Alex Carlson said...

For a second I thought that Morgan Freeman was going to tear his shirt off after he won in 2005 for 'Million Dollar Baby.'

jbaker475 said...

Someone please get Hugh Jackman an Oscar-bait project. NOW. Also, I second Ryan T.; thank you for the tennis-related post. :)

James T said...

OMG! Only hours ago I was watching tribute videos on youtube of Novak!
Oh, you know me so well :)

Derreck said...

Sandra's dress was way too beautiful to be torn. She would have to unzip first.

Alexis said...

I don't think the actresses would actually need to rip their dresses,as tight as the dresses are one deep breath ought to do it ;)

Timothy said...

So the next time that Philip Seymour Hoffman wins an Oscar, you know what you have to do, Phil! Nothing like some moobs action on Oscar night.

Debbie said...

I'm curious, how do people feel about Roberts's performance in Notting Hill? I always found it quite underrated, particularly the part where she talks about the topless photos she took. That was a pretty great scene.

Anonymous said...

Who is the first photo of the nice looking fellow with the beard?

Yum...

Kev said...

That's Mark Boal. He won for best original screenplay for "The Hurt Locker" (which should have gone to Tarantino, but that's for another topic). :)

RT said...

And he's also Kathryn Bigelow's boy toy. Can't forget that.