Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Who's the Boss?

I'm short on time this week --you may have noticed from sparser posting. My mind is on jobs, career, etc... So here's a discussion topic for you.



Meryl Streep's Miranda Priestley in The Devil Wears Prada is my current movie obsession. Some other memorable tyrant/bosses that have drifted to my mind when thinking about her: Harold Zidler in Moulin Rouge! Gig Young in They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, Bill in Kill Bill --all of them seem to demand not just work but body and soul commitment.

Could you ever work for any of these people?
If not, have you ever seen a movie boss that you could work for? Discuss in the comments, share horror stories, or movie-work related dreams...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always wanted to work for Jason Robards in All The President's Men.

My present boss is a lot like him.

StinkyLulu said...

Another bad boss is Dabney Coleman's Franklin M. Hart Jr. in 9 to 5. And to continue the Dolly theme, I'd like to work for Truvy in Steel Magnolias (though I'd rather not be Daryl Hannah).

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Since I'm a stress junkie, I'd have the time of my life working for Sigourney Weaver's character from "Working Girl".

adam k. said...

Funny, I totally think of the Grand High Witch from The Witches (i.e. the boss of all the witches in the world). I recall that she would castdestructive spells on anyone who talked back to her. She was the ultimate bitch.

Anonymous said...

I think I’d get a real kick out of working for EXOTICA’s resolute (business minded wise), eccentric, bi- sexual strip club manager Zoe (Arsinee Khanjian).

adam k. said...

Or the Sexist Showgirls club manager, who makes the girls get their nipples hard.

boobtubers said...

I think Bill Lumbergh remains the Ultimate Bad Boss. Sorry, Meryl.

Anonymous said...

I was just going to say Gary Cole as Lumbergh; to some people he might seem like a caricature but I have actually had cubicle-nightmare superiors like him.

Anonymous said...

I would want to work with Hugh Grant in Bridget Jones. I wouldn't mind sleeping with him either.

adam k. said...

Nathaniel, you need to do an updated "She's A Bitch" video with Miranda Priestly, The Grand High Witch, and Lilly from the Grifters.

RC said...

i can think of a whole lot more TV boses than movie boses.

but when tobie mcguire goes to work at the apple orchard the family he works for is pretty lax on him...but it helps that he's white.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

Glenn Dunks said...

"(though I'd rather not be Daryl Hannah)."

Amen, Lulu!

I agree with all the bosses people have mentioned. And while he's not a bitch, I'd still love to work for Ed Masry from Erin Brockovich. LOVE.

Anonymous said...

How about the rakish and adorable Hugh Grant in 'Love Actually'? Has there ever been a sweeter one?