Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Day Job: Kirsten Dunst

Marie Antoinette week

Our Wednesday series 'Hump Day Hotties' (coming up later) is brought to you midweek assuming that the majority of peoples work a Monday thru Friday and need something (sex) to think about (sex) other than their boring jobs (sex) when they've still got half the week to go. But maybe HDH needs a companion series "Day Job" (?) to accept the realities of we, the unfortunate masses, who work for a living. Or maybe I'm just into restless experimentation with me blog.

Each week I'll pick an actor or actress and explore the "careers" within their filmography. This week's working girl: Marie-Antoi-- Kirsten "Kiki" Dunst.

Upcoming Career?: Word is that Kiki might play Blondie frontwoman Debbie Harry in a biopic (!) Dunst can actually sing (you can hear her over the end credits of The Cat's Meow and in the high school comedy Get Over It) but it's too bad they didn't make this biopic decades ago because if there's any actress who could have perfectly mimicked Debbie Harry's wide set eyes / strong cheekbones / legendary blonde charisma whilst giving a great performance it was La Pfeiffer back in the day.



Kiki's 'Day Jobs'
Job(s) Held Prior to Acting Professionally: A child model for Ford Modelling. Then she started acting at age seven.
Number of Films: 30 (excluding voice work)
Most Frequent Onscreen Career: Due to the started as a child actor thing Kiki's mostly been unemployed onscreen or played a student (too many times to mention). Otherwise her most frequent paying gig is playing an actress (such range!) which she's done thrice: Wag the Dog, The Cats Meow, and Spider-Man 2. If you count Bring It On she's played an athlete twice --the other time in the underappreciated romcom Wimbledon.
Average Salary of a Working Actor: $23,470
Kirsten's Biggest Paycheck: (Outside of Spidey Films) $8 million for Elizabethtown.
My Favorite Career: I loved her as the office girl in Eternal Sunshine.
Latest Onscreen Profession: Queen of France (duh!)

What would you hire Kirsten Dunst to do?
ANSWER IN THE COMMENTS

Tags:
Kirsten Dunst, movies, Marie Antoinette, film, acting, Debbie Harry, Blondie, biopic

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wimbledon? "Underappreciated"? REEEEEALLLY...

Anonymous said...

Well I wouldn't hire her to play Debbie Harry! You're right, Pfeiffer would have made a much better match for Harry.

NATHANIEL R said...

well, underappreciated as romantic comedies go.

basically the genre produces 97% crap so if there's a halfway decent movie, then it becomes underappreciated.

SamuraiFrog said...

Loaded question...

I don't know, I'm sure I'm alone in this, but I see Charlize Theron as Debbie Harry. No, really, I have this whole cast in my head for a Bebe Buell biopic. If only.

If it's a musical role, I can totally see Kiki as Martha Jefferson in 1776, though. Small role but one great scene.

Anonymous said...

It's too bad PARALLEL LINES (that bio pic on Debbie Harry) didn't materialize with Pfeiffer, who was attached to it when it was in active development in 1990 or so. She really would have been perfect. Dunst? Eh.

Anonymous said...

I love Kirsten Dunst. Isn't it fascinating that she's become such a divisive actress?

I haven't seen Marie Antoinette yet, but I'm hoping she's great in it.

Jason Adams said...

I LOVE Debbie Harry, believe me, but you don't need an actress with powerhouse vocals to play her. I mean, she's got a fine voice, perfect for how she used it, but it's more about the attitude behind the voice.

I don't know if Kiki can channel that tude, I don't feel like I've seen her do anything that could convince of that yet. But I do like her just fine (besides that stealing my man business); enough to give her the benefit of the doubt, at least.

DL said...

The world truly needs more pro-Kirsten activists like you. We'd be living in a better world if all those Dunst-dissenters weren't trying to poison people's minds with their hate-mongering.

par3182 said...

i'd hire her to understudy julia stiles. watch and learn, kiki, watch and learn...

Glenn Dunks said...

Yeah, I love Kiki. She's got more to her than most of teen/early20s actresses out there at the moment. It's kind of sad that people actually hate her because she dumped Jake Gyllenhaal. Like... wtf?

But, I must say, I really didn't like Wimbledon at all, and she hardly deserves $8mil. Specially for Elizabethtown, which was her worst performance ever. But the rest of the movie was shithouse also so she needn't feel bad.

I'm not sure about Kirsten playing Debbie Harry though. If she wants to make another biopic, she'd be best to take a cue from The Cat's Meow. She really looks like a starlet from that era. Seriously, put her in black and white and have her pop her eyes out like they used to do a lot and it'd be like the 1930s all over again.

Glenn Dunks said...

par is back!!

Alanna said...

I'd hire her to clean my cats' litterbox.

Seriously, that litterbox is gross.

Also, I am not a cat lady.

NATHANIEL R said...

alanna -you funny

Anonymous said...

Kirsten Dunst is sooooooooooooooo overrated! She's a horrible actress, she only plays lightweight characters with a very limited emotional range and always with that annoying little smirk on her face. I can't name one great performance from her and don't know why Hollywood continues to use her so much. She clearly lacks the edge, charisma and HOTNESS to play someone like Debbie Harry. Can you imagine Dunst with a heroine addiction, hanging out with Andy Warhol, prancing around on CBGB's stage, being a playboy bunny? I don't think so! I'd give this role to Elisha Cuthberg, she seems to have more edge and looks more like Debbie Harry.

Anonymous said...

i would hire kirsten to keep me company on a lonely summer's day.. haha she's seems fun and down to earth and i like that in a person.

crazy/beautiful is a great example of one of many movies by kirsten dunst in which she plays a great range of emotion, and does it well.

though i like kirsten very much, not only has a young actress, but actress in general. I've enjoyed mostly every movie i've seen that she puts out, (wimbledon, crazy/beautiful, mona lisa smile, bring it on, the virgin suicides..)and look forward to up coming projects.. I think playing a role of debbie harry might be too powerful, but i have faith.. you never know what you will get from her, she's unpredictable in the roles she chooses and maybe she might pull through.. (; i also agree in a sense that she doesnt appear to have that 'edge'..

Anonymous said...

O ya!!!

Anonymous said...

O ya!!!