Thursday, October 05, 2006

Birthday Girls

Today is the birthday of the great Kate Winslet. I celebrated her first day on Earth with a post last year. And also last month, a mini Kateapalooza with that video tribute. Tomorrow Little Children opens to erase her recent fumble in All The Kings Men. Happy Birthday Kate! (More Kate well-wishing at My New Plaid Pants)

Yesterday was my Mom's birthday and though I gave her a big hug hours before leaving Detroit I actually forgot the significance of the day until I was already on the plane. I have a good excuse but still... sorry, Mom!

It's also the birthday of the very funny Glynis Johns, that talented supporting player of yore (well not so yoreish actually --her last hoot-worthy playing was in the mid90s comedies While You Were Sleeping and The Ref . If you're still drawing a blank think of her Oscar nomination for The Sundowners or Mrs. Winifred Banks in Mary Poppins. 'Well done, Sister Suffragette!'

And finally Nicole Kidman starred in a movie called Birthday Girl a few years back so I'm thinking about her as I'm writing this (although I already celebrated her birthday in June). Who knew that I'd end up missing her after bitching about her overexposure. So I'm happy to see pictures of her at work again.

4 comments:

douglas said...

please greet your ma a happy birthday for me!!!

and welcome back man, i missed reading your blog!

and glad you thought science of sleep was ok...

NicksFlickPicks said...

Nicole Kidman was born on *my* mom's birthday, so there is clearly a prescient, deep-structural intelligence within the DNA of this post. Meanwhile, Fur is moving further and further to the front of the pack of fall-season releases I can't wait to see.

Anonymous said...

And of course, Glynis John was the first person to sing "Send in the Clowns" in Sondheim's dazzling A Little Night Music

adam k. said...

I loved Winifred Banks in Mary Poppins!

And I give the big "whatever" to Winslet in All The Kings' Men. You can't really blame actors for being involved in projects that look that good on paper... even if they are remakes of classics. I've already forgiven all of them, especially Kate the Great.