Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Happy Birthday Mom

Today is my Mom's birthday so I thought I'd give her a shout out. After all... if not for her, I would not exist. My mom does not read this blog so I'll have to wish her a happy birthday the old-fashioned way on the telephone later. In fact --very rude of her --my mom doesn't read any of my stuff. She took one look at the cover of my debut in the original print zine in 1998 ("FiLM BiTCH") and announced that it was disgusting. My mother is a little bit uptight.

When it comes to the cinema we do not always see eye to eye. She is not fond of Woody Allen or Cabaret to name two prominent examples that split our opinions. What my mom does love is old movie musicals, Loretta Young in The Farmer's Daughter, Star Wars, and the The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Her all-time favorite, though, is Witness (1985) which I also like a great deal). It's interesting to me that a movie concerning the collision between the modern world and a strict cocooning religion is her favorite because, um, that could sort of describe our family dynamic.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love our moms, huh? Even if they drive us to drink sometimes (which mine most certainly does.)

Quick question for you, Nat: is your family LDS by chance? Because a lot of what little you have said about them, their uptightness and religiosity, just screams LDS to me.

Please forgive my invasiveness. Just curious...

Anyway, happy Tuesday to you, and a very happy birthday to your mom.

Ciao,

Marco

NATHANIEL R said...

LDS it is, yes...

NicksFlickPicks said...

Happy birthday, Nathaniel's Mom. Thanks for giving us Nathaniel!

adam k. said...

Aw, cuteness...

I feel stupid, but... what it LDS? I thought your parents were Mormon.

And I like the cover of film bitch. That's an amazing caricature of Julianne Moore.

Joe R. said...

Butting in, but . . .

LDS = Latter Day Saints = The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which is the formal name for the Mormon church (right? or am I out of my depth here?).

NATHANIEL R said...

Mormons call themselves "LDS" it stands for Latter Day Saints. Now excuse me --i have to shake off the heebie jeebies from talking about this.

par3182 said...

suddenly that whole "latter days wasn't a completely crappy movie" is making a lot more sense.

of course now all i can think of is the fruity underwear (thanks so much, angels in america.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nat!

Your mom always made me nervous, but I could always tell she loved you.

Tell her hello, and Happy (belated now) Birthday for me!

Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Subaru impreza headlights travel mexico Leather seat covers for motorcycles kia Case pda uk http://www.cellular-phone-plans-4.info Acne control order proactiv solution that work Medication information ritalin for adults soccer What classic toy has been around for ever Jeep wrangler sport for sale Acne minocycline stopping treatment Free xxx lexi lamour mpegs Blood pressure monitor arm running