Monday, November 02, 2009

MM@M: A Place in the What?

It's been a month since I did one of these Mad Men posts and I'm still on the first season. I mean that only in the sense of these posts. I'm right up to date on the actual Mad Men show, which wraps Season 3 up next weekend. I hate to see it go but at least I'll catch up on the blog with the movie references. (Find the silver lining!)

1.11 "Indian Summer"
Rachel Menken (Maggie Siff) has confessed to her sister Barbara (Rebecca Creskoff) that she's seeing Don Draper, a married man. Her sister is understandably concerned...

Barbara: All I know is what I see in the movies. It's magical and then they start talking about him leaving his wife... and then he doesn't. I saw this one where the husband gets the woman pregnant so he kills her.

You don't want to be that woman.
Hmmm. Help me out here, readers.

It sounds like Barbara is thinking of A Place in the Sun... (?) only that's not exactly how it goes, Monty not being married to Liz when Shelley gets a bun in the oven. But then again people do get plots mixed up. Are there other 50s or early 6os movies where the two-timer kills his pregnant significant other? Your vast movie expertise is required in the comments.

other references in this episode
Literature: Ayn Rand Politics: Richard Nixon Celebrities: Jayne Mansfield Television: The Danny Thomas Show Magazines: The Family Circle
*

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It has to be Match point ! Hum, wait a minute ...

Deborah said...

Overall moviegoer consensus is A Place in the Sun. If there were a better candidate, I feel like somewhere in the past 2 years someone would have dropped it in BOK comments.

Anonymous said...

Haha yeah the first thing I thought of was Match Point but it certainly isn't that.

Laika said...

How about 'A Kiss Before Dying'? 1956 seems about the right vintage...

Laika said...

Although, he doesn't kill her because he has a wife, but because her father will disinherit her. So, maybe not...

NATHANIEL R said...

match point. LOL. Unless Barbara has a time machine.

I kind of miss the Menken clan on this show. But then I miss almost every character that's been dumped along the way. That's how involving the show is. I feel like if any show deserved multiple spinoffs it's this one.

imagine: a show about the congregation that Peggy's part of in Brooklyn :) or a show about Midge and her beatnik pals.