Wednesday, November 18, 2009

PGA Honors Precious.

Jose here with some award news.



Continuing to establish itself as a front runner in the awards race, Precious: Based on the novel 'Push' by Sapphire, has been chosen by the Producers Guild of America to receive its prestigious Stanley Kramer Award for illuminating provocative social issues in an accessible and elevating fashion.

This award not only confirms the movie will be one of the ten chosen by the PGA for its Producer of the Year award, but bodes well for its chances of getting even more Oscar attention.
The Academy simply loves social issues (remember 2005?) and Kramer (who directed and produced Inherit the Wind and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner among others) was an icon in this aspect, even if the quality of the films he made didn't amount to much artistically.
Stanley's films always talked about things we wanted to ignore. He taught us so much about ourselves and made us think about our values and purpose [and] 'Precious' is truly a film that embraces this philosophy
said Kramer's widow Karen.

This statement might also help appease those who fear old, conservative Academy members will refuse to watch the movie. If their colleague Stanley would've endorsed this, they might as well give it a chance.

Previous winners of the Stanley Kramer Award include:
2008-Milk (Won 2 Oscars, nominated for Best Picture)
2007-The Great Debaters (Golden Globe nominee for Best Picture)
2006-An Inconvenient Truth (Won 2 Oscars including Best Documentary)
2005-Good Night and Good Luck (Nominated for Best Picture Oscar)
2004-Hotel Rwanda (Nominated for 3 Oscars including Best Actor)
2003-In America (Nominated for 3 Oscars including Best Actress)
2002-Antwone Fisher
2001-I Am Sam (Nominated for Best Actor Oscar)

So besides having a thing for Sean Penn and Denzel Washington, the Stanley Kramer award seems to be quite in tune with Oscar's taste huh?

12 comments:

Jude said...

I'm not a huge fan of Precious. It deserves credit for Gabby Sidibe and Mo'Nique, but the picture as a whole? I'm not sure about that yet.

Garen said...

This has nothing to do with this post. I just found this on huffpost. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/18/kate-hudson-sings-in-nine_n_361308.html

Anonymous said...

LOL at the Great Debaters..

gabrieloak said...

One thing I noticed was that the Stanley Kramer winner does not go on to win Best Picture.

adam k. said...

I'm kinda surprised GNaGL won this award over both Crash and Brokeback. But I guess GNaGL address "big issues" more directly. And certainly in a more admirable manner than Crash, which, while similarly direct, did not deserve ANY awards.

adam k. said...

*shudder* Crash. *shudder*

Hilary Swank said...

I agree Jude. I thought Sidibe and Mo'Nique were amazing, hell the whole cast was really good, but I just didn't love the movie. I thought the direction was wonderful, but I didn't like how the screenplay tried to add comedy moments into the film. It just didn't contrast well with the films tough storyline.

Michael Parsons said...

Is it me, or when they honor a black film, if it is an American story, black film, it does not seem to go on for Oscar attention.
Let this be a glitch

Anonymous said...

Think the film would have done alot better if they had changed it to a hot black girl instead of the black whale.

Erica Silva said...

Since i am currently writing a blog on The Valley Art Theatre in Tempe, AZ, i figured it would be good to read up on the films being shown at the theatre. Precious obviously is one of the films currently being shown. After reading this blog im really excited to watch it and post my own opinions on it on my blog, check it out!

Corinne (precious) said...

I must say that this movie was amazing. It touched me in so many ways as I knew it would and I was waiting for March, 9 for the movie to come out and went and bought it right away. There are so many people in these situations such as myself and it gives hope. The movie itself is hope. There is an opposite to everything in this world and in the evil there is beauty. I hope people walk away after watching this film with... idk even. lol but it was a wonderful movie. And just to add a random comment, through my experinces I have found running to be my fantasty. As precious did as being in her fantasy world as a beautiful actress.

Corinne said...

And as for the comedy in the film, it made the film.