Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Prince Gyllenhaal

One of the things I've never quite understood about videogames turned movies is how you're supposed to play them.

But I miss Jake Gyllenhaal so here he is all acrobatic like in The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time



I haven't yet read any internet opinions about this new trailer, so haven't a clue what the consensus is but if it's hugely negative, I'm here to say that that's just silly. This looks exactly like the other video games turned movies (Tomb Raider) or movies that seem like they're based on video games even when they're not (The Mummy... or wait, was that?). They're all marketed in this same bombastic way with loud music, "fun" bits and CGI heavy promises of spectacle. Though I can't remember offhand if most trailers for films of this genre spend this much time describing the plot (which I feel safe in assuming will turn out to be unneccesarily complicated and utterly inconsequential to whether or not the movie works)

I'm feeling weirdly defensive in advance... even though I don't think it looks very good.

Would you rather be buried in sand... or internet ridicule?

Most of what I read on the internet these days seems to have a touch of the anti-Gyllenhaal to it (be it involving Maggie or Jake) and I don't want to see another repeat of that weird collective sudden loathing that happened to Kirsten Dunst a few years back. I hate it when that happens. There's usually little in the way of real or defensible reasons why people turn against actors that vehemently. I find that it's often based on perceptions of their public persona rather than their work and/or it's about one movie which the actor in question wasn't suited for in some way. Then people get weirdly resistant to believing that the actor will be enjoyable in another context. Not liking Maggie Gyllenhaal because she was annoying in The Dark Knight, for example, is utterly self-defeating. You would end up depriving yourself of abundant fantastic performances. Anyway, it comes down to this: I am an unrepentant Gyllenhaalic. I've never cared whether actors are "in" or "out" only whether they have talent and whether they do things for me onscreen when I'm sitting in the dark watching them. Jake often does. So, for better or worse, I'll end up seeing this next summer.

17 comments:

rubi-kun said...

I like the Gylenhalls, but I'm firmly against this movie on the grounds of racist casting (white people as the Prince of Persia and Princess of India, with actual Indian people regulated to the roles of maid and villain? almost as bad as The Last Airbender movie).

Andrew David said...

I really liked Maggie in "The Dark Knight"... but I guess she would be annoying for that film's main fanbase for creating an interesting female character...

On the other hand I've never liked Jake. He's never really convinced me in anything, which is a shame because he's not bad exactly.

Alan M said...

I do not understand the anti-dunst thing at all,she was awesome in marie antionette, passable but bearable in how to lose friends and alienate people and the last thing that was wrong with the third spider-man, and yet we hate Dunst!
what is up with that?

Michael Parsons said...

rubi-kun - too right!

Bailey said...

I never understood the Kiki hate either. I think she's great, usually.

I didn't know people were starting to feel the same way about the Gyllenhaals though! Noooo, I love them. Maggie is probably the more talented one, but Jake is captivating in a way Maggie is not because he is dreamy. I think they both pick pretty good roles usually, I guess that's why I'm surprised to hear about a backlash.

NATHANIEL R said...

well... if other people aren't seeing it, maybe my paranoia has created it out of thin air.

Derreck said...

nerd alert, but the the game trilogy (yes, trilogy) that this movie is based on has a wonderful storyline. it's all about time and the little things we can do to upset it.

indeed, that sounds like most time traveling movies, but it's a good ride all the way to the end. i'm sure they've made a bunch of changes, but i'm pleased at what i see so far. The prince spends a good amount of time shirtless which is quite faithful to the game. :)

anyways, i like both jake and maggie. Maggie usually does a terrfic job in her roles (she was much better than Katie in THE DARK KNIGHT even though it was one hell of a thankless role) and Jake is an impressive actor. I usually cite BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, JARHEAD and DONNIE DARKO as his best performances.

ah, BROKEBACK. i'm still waiting for someone to kiss me with such intensity, passion and longing as Ennis did with Jack.

Lara said...

Unfortunately, I don't think you're creating this out of thin air. There are these constant, stupid rumours about Jake and his girlfriend and Maggie got a lot of backlash for not looking hot enough for TDK and being somewhat snotty.
I don't care much about Jake, but Maggie I will defend.

Anonymous said...

Same ol' images like rubi-kun says. Heroes, no matter what race they're supposed to be, are "white." Villains are dark. Hollywood still likes to rely on these convenient, racist cues. Have you ever seen The Tale of Despereaux? The "good" mice are all so European, but when the "bad" rats are shown, the film immediately starts playing Arabic music. Lazy filmmaking. I yawn in your general direction.

Chris Na Taraja said...

I have nothing bad to say about Jake or Maggie, but that New Prince of the Sands of Time movie looks just god awful! Leave it to Disney to mix a 1950's view of the middle east with images form the Scorpian King/Mummy movies, and turn Jake into a live action Aladdin.

Is it worth is to sit thru another totally boring and predictable Disney action flick to look at Jake for 2 hours?

NATHANIEL R said...

yes?

(is this a trick question)

Fernando Moss said...

Jake and Maggie can do anything they want to me while I'm sitting in the dark... ;)

pomme said...

usually i like Guyllenhals acting and the trailer of "prince of persia" looks alike a trailer of "pirates of caribbean"

Anonymous said...

I like how everyone in history spoke with English accents.

-catbaskets

P.S. Rachel Dawes is not a strong female character. She is a preachy, self-righteous idealist who would make any actress look bad (Katie Holmes just didn't help at all...)

Anonymous said...

The Gyllenhaal's are annoying as a family for all their personal drama and Maggie's bizarre political rants.

Rebecca said...

I don't think you're creating the Gyllenhaal hate out of thin air, it was even a joke on 'Family Guy.' The two of them were sitting across from a table arguing about which one of them was more off-putting and alienating. Strange, because I feel that anyone who sees their work in lead roles in good movies is a pretty strong fan, or at least appreciates them.

Glenn Dunks said...

I think the negativity towards them is that they're just two in a long line of people Hollywood told everyone they have to like. They've each made some great great GREAT movies, but they're infinitely better when sticking to smaller projects than bigger blockbuster type films.