- Critics (quotable raves, festival honors, year end prizes)
- Media (favoritism from EW to Awards Daily to Oprah)
- Precursors (love from the guilds and the Globes)
- Momentum (the past triumphs of actors and directors)
- Prestige (subject matter x genre ÷ filmmaking team assembled)
- Industry Pull (Hollywood eats their own, but some are higher on the food chain)
- Audience (box office popularity and buzz)
If you answered, "Trick Question! All of the above," you are correct...
The Oscar Combination and why I don't think James Cameron's Avatar is the frontrunner, despite its billion dollar haul. Also discussed: The Hurt Locker, Up in the Air, Meryl Streep and Sandra Bullock.