Sunday, January 17, 2010

Supporting Actress Fever

Just in case you haven't heard, StinkyLulu is hosting his 4th annual Supporting Actress Blog-a-Thon. It's a wonderful annual tradition since there is so much actressing worth celebrating in any given film year, particularly in supporting. If you want to be mathematical about it, shouldn't the supporting categories have double or triple the nominee count since there are far more supporting roles in movies than leads?

This year's crop seems to be more on the fringes than investigating the Oscar suspects but I love this web-party each year precisely for this reason. It's a scrapbook of individual in-the-moment passions. I didn't have time to contribute (I'm so unhappy about how little time I have anymore) but if I had I probably would have celebrated one of my nominees, or possibly Juliette Lewis in Whip It (♥) or Celia Weston in Observe and Report (those slurry line readings were made of win) since they're two of my favorite living actresses and I always get a charge from watching them work their peculiar magics.

check out the blog-a-thon
*

6 comments:

Robert Hamer said...

"If you want to be mathematical about it, shouldn't the supporting categories have double or triple the nominee count since there are far more supporting roles in movies than leads?"

That's why I get so angry at category fraud. It's not enough that there are more competitors for the supporting slots, but then we get campaigns fraudulently shoving Ethan Hawke and Jake Gyllenhaal into them!

NATHANIEL R said...

exactly my friend

i've actually considered expanding my own awards for 10 each in supporting to make this point but decided i should not be so crazy and stick to the traditional 5.

cinephile said...

I love that Julianne Moore is being mentioned twice in this blog-a-thon. She was really funny in "Pippa Lee" - also if it was rather a cameo, but it was a bright spot in that film and, after her horrific comedy-attempts with "Laws of Attraction" and "Trust the Man" this decade, it was good to see that she hasn't unlearned all her comedic skills (see: her hilarious performances in the late 90s, "Big Lebowski" and "Cookie's Fortune").

Pf_Iggy said...

Thanks to StinkyLulu and all the participants. I can't think of a better internet birthday gift. :)

Nate Tyson said...

I've already praised them in your comment section, but the ladies of Observe & Report really can never get enough credit. Drunk Celia Weston was definitely one of the funniest things I saw all year, movie or no.

Nate Tyson said...

You should either change the Supp's to ten, or do even more honorable mentions.