The Costume Designers Guild announced their nominees for 2009.
In what's becoming a ridiculous set of snubs, Jane Campion's Bright Star was once again ignored for much less remarkable achievements (odd considering how much the costumes are actual part of the movie's plot). After the egregious snub by the Cinematographers Guild it's been clear how much people have decided to just pretend the movie doesn't exist.
You didn't have to like the film to see how great the cinematography and costumes were, right?
Now on to the nominees,
- Avatar (Mayes C. Rubeo, Deborah Lynn Scott)
- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (Monique Prudhomme)
- Star Trek (Michael Kaplan)
- (500) Days of Summer (Hope Hanafin)
- Bruno (Jason Alper)
- Crazy Heart (Doug Hall)
- Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire (Marina Draghici)
- Up in the Air (Danny Glicker)
I find it strange that they snubbed The Lovely Bones here though or did they think it was more fantasy?
- Coco Before Chanel (Catherine Leterrier)
- Julie & Julia (Ann Roth)
- Nine (Colleen Atwood)
- Sherlock Holmes (Jenny Beavan)
- The Young Victoria (Sandy Powell)
I find it interesting that Coco Before Chanel made it here, especially because the most notorious costumes from the movie were actually Karl Lagerfeld's work.
I guess that guild members assumed that to snub a movie about a designer would be insane.
Which, don't make me say it, but only reminds me of the John Keats movie...
What was your favorite costume on a movie last year? do you think these nominees represent 2009 well?