Wednesday, October 06, 2010

All Good Links

Before we get to today's link roundup -- I went a little crazy as I sometimes do -- enjoy the heat sensor-like photography of the All Good Things poster. Perhaps Ryan and Kiki were a bit jealous of the ruckus Jake & Annie's nude poster caused online.


P.S. Jake Gyllenhaal is obsessed with Ryan Gosling. Just saying. I would try to quote his answer from Saturday night when the audience question 'who would you like to work with?' popped up but it was so rambling and long and confusing that I can't. But let's just say it began with Ryan Gosling, was jilted by Ryan Gosling via text "I'm busy" and then ended again with a circular non sequitor shout of "Ryan Gosling!" Jake likey. Ryan Gosling is what you might call an actor's actor... since everyone seems to want to work with him.

On to the linkage...
Candy Magazine A double take of pleasure. Yes, that's James Franco to your left continuing his trans formation from one of the great herd of Hollywood pretty boys to an actually interesting celebrity.
My New Plaid Pants is an über fan of Let the Right One In. Doesn't hate Let Me In. Since the response has been so positively muted like "it's good: also, a recreation" I've decided not to see it.
Broadway.com Carrie the Musical being revived. Wow.
Cinema Blend Me pal Katey basically says all I have to say about the trailer for Julie Taymor's Tempest so I don't need to cover it here. What she said, minus the positive bits since I liked the movie even less than she.
The Big Picture Tony Curtis grand sendoff in Las Vegas
Hero Complex Emma Stone will play Gwen Stacy in the new Spider-Man. I'm glad that early reports were wrong. Why do the whole Mary Jane story again. That said, isn't it weird that someone known as a redhead is going to play Spidey's favorite blonde and someone known as a blonde was cast as his favorite redhead. Weirdness.
The Awl Sasha Frere-Jones and Natasha VC on The Social Network. If you haven't read enough yet, it's fun as always to read these two.
50 Best Theater Blogs I'll have to investigate this list.
Just Jared Joseph Gordon-Levitt lost his older brother. So sad.
Towleroad celebs speaking about gay bullying on Larry King Live
Movie|Line offers tips to Renée Zellweger on how she could regain her A list status. I love the suggestion of a brilliant twitter feed. I hope she calls it @Zeéeee after my new nickname for her. Zeéeeee reads me right? *


Double Duty!
Movielicious Have you seen this great mashup poster for Toy Story and Tron? I wish I knew who did it to give them proper cred.
Scott Feinberg "Are Bening *And* Moore All Right." Some smart words on the The Kids Are All Right Oscar campaign.
John Luciano a Calvin & Hobbes mashup with Let the Right One In. Teehee. I used to love Calvin's girlcrush but can't remember her name right now

*Obviously I am kidding. Someone I am acquainted with who works in the industry once told me that every star googles themselves --whether they admit it or not -- and is familiar with their biggest cheerleaders and nemeses online. But I chose not to believe her because it weirded me out too much to think of Beelzebub, She Who Must Not Be Named, La Pfeiff and The Bening reading or even knowing of my puny existence.

15 comments:

aclp said...

Ryan Gosling......well......haaaamm....oh God......such intense, deep, soulful, penetrating eyes....

Walter L. Hollmann said...

SUSIE DERKINS!

Also, Carrie musical revival = PLATINUM GOLD for me. I've a bootleg recording of the original production and in it defense...well, no, it's just hard to believe such a thing exists. But I'd really love to see it with real singers. (I mean, besides Darlene Love and the goddess Betty Buckley)

NATHANIEL R said...

walter -- but i guess theyr'e dumping half its score for purist revivalists will be upset.

vg21 said...

I came to see if you had any post that is related to the Kids Are All Right and there it is, the first entry! Amazing! Im in Paris right now and going to see TKAAR tomorrow. It has just debuted here and Im so happy since it would have taken ages to wait for the film at home and now I wont have to any more :))). As for the Best Actress race, I just want both Annette and Julienne to win the Oscar (if they are that good indeed) and they should be nominated in the categories which will make this possible. I know Im greedy, but thats it.
Oh, and I also saw the new BVLGARI ad with Julienne, so I cant wish for more in Paris, really:).

Andrew R. said...

Let Me In-Skipping it. I'm actually reading the book, though. I recommend it.

Carrie the Musical-This is the same Carrie musical that bombed, right?

Joseph Gordon Levitt-Very sad.

Gay Bullying-That's great, don't get me wrong, but some of the celebrity choices are a little questionable. Apparently, Ke$ha participated. What has she done besides annoy millions?

Zellweger-Everyone's still mad about the Cold Mountain Oscar, and I don't blame them.

Tron Story-Haha.

Let the Right Tiger In-Haha.

Walter L. Hollmann said...

It probably needed it: I swear Carrie's mom reprises the same song six times. Look, as long as they keep "In", "Dream On", "Wotta Night" and "heaven", I'll be fine. Dear G-d, they better keep "Wotta Night", it's so 80s-tastic to the extreme.

Karin Browning said...

I saw Love and Other Drugs last night at a screening. Sigh, I hope they make a lot of changes before this is released in theaters. Let me put it like this, Hank Azaria is best in show. He plays a sleazy, yet very cool and funny big-shot doctor and is just an enjoyable delight the entire film. The guy who plays Jake's character's brother also has some hilarious moments.

The film itself is all over the place. It doesn't know if it wants to be comedic or dramatic so it tries to be both simultaneously and doesn't do either very well. There is a part in the movie that was so heavy handed I rolled my eyes until they almost fell out of my head (it's a scene with a man that Jake's character interacts with at a meeting).

Jake and Anne have great chemistry and he is very charming in this, but the nudity is borderline gratuitious and really adds nothing. In fact, I think it's going to prevent people from seeing this film as there were two older ladies in front of me and one said "this is too much" after the upteenth sex scene.

The storyline is clumsily done and the end is so pedestrian and formulaic.

I saw Blue Valentine earlier this year and I can not begin to tell you how much better that film is than this one. I was really disappointed and don't see any awards potential for this movie.

iggy said...

Sorry to break my silence here to address this issue, gay bullying.

I've never been bullied, but as an adult and for reasons that are not important now, I've felt the intense, painful look in the eye of a young girl who could only make eye-contact with adults because she was completely heartbroken, helpless, alone, isolated. She was just looking for some human warmth. I can't describe the feelings I had at that moment, I just know (even though later on I learnt that the situation was eventually solved) that it was one of those images that will stay with me for the rest of my life. The eyes of a desperate kid begging for human contact.

So, why am I telling you this? Because I've noticed there's a significant gay crowd among the blogosphere writing in blogs, websites and whatnot, and I'm sure there's a great gay young readership. So, wouldn't be great if everybody in this virtual world could devote a day to this issue? I don't know, deciding to have a specific date to have bloggers agreeing to post a blank post in memoriam for those that left? or posting the number of one of those lines that help people? Or simply agreeing to post something on this issue on a specific date, no matter what. I don't know, something.
It's just that I think that it is in this kind of issues where internet (anonymous, in the privacy of your home) can be really helpful.

Back to silence again.

pomme said...

the poster is the photoshop award of the week!

JLG:too sad

on "kids are all right", all i will say is Great acting & great alchemy

on "let me in" remake/recreation, i just saw it ,it's good (the boy is really good)but what is the interest to do a new movie so close to the original movie ?

Volvagia said...

I get that gay bullying is sad, but the thing is,any time someone tells me the phrase "grow a pair", I think, "I've contemplated going to a doctor to remove that 'pair' you so eggregiously want me to 'grow' when I'm financially independent." And, on a similar note, depression among asexuals is higher than any other orientation.

chris na Taraja said...

I don't want to just work with Ryan gosling, I want to have his babies! yes, i do realize that it's anatomacally impossible.

rex said...

"let me in" is quite a good film. nothing to boycott over or whatever. does it better the original? no, but no one should have been expecting that. it does what it does well. chloe grace Moretz is sensational however, and the sky's the limit for her in the future.

billybil said...

I sincerely think that if Bening is nominated and Moore is not it will be one of those Oscar travesties! I think Mr. Feinberg makes absolute perfect sense and I wholeheartedly hope that nominations will come to both of them. This is also a movie to keep an eye on for the ensemble nomations and awards.

Scott said...

Nathaniel - Calvin's girl crush was always Suzie Derkins.

Dimitra said...

Am I the only one who found the poster for All Good Things horrible?

At first, I couldn't believe it was James Franco! The power of make-up...

Poor JGL...

I didn't find the trailer for The Tempest at all exciting, I can't imagine the film being even worse. Such a shame, I really wanted to see it.