Saturday, October 23, 2010

You eat that watermelon, Juliette...

Just eat it!


I'm totally not crazy about watermelons myself. I don't like anything where I have to spit out seeds. You?

This entirely random post has been brought to you by a recent screening of What's Eating Gilbert Grape? (1993) in which just about everyone is excellent even though people only talk about it today in terms of Leonardo DiCaprio's first entirely deserved Oscar nomination. I meant to watch just one scene from it the other day and ended up sitting through the whole thing. Addictive, I tell ya. There's so many choice scenes but one moment I fell hard for all over again is when Johnny Depp's enormously obese mother (played by Darlene Cates), embarrassed to meet her son's new girl (Juliette), introducers herself with a shameful "I wasn't always like this." Juliette merely repeats her phrase "I wasn't always like this" and then a barely visible shrug. It's this unlikely mix of total empathy, unsentimental observation (we're always changing), and 'whatever -- nice to meet'cha' nonchalance. I love Juliette.

Pssst. Interview with Juliette Lewis is coming early next week... I'm behind in transcribing.

12 comments:

Guy Lodge said...

I eat the seeds, actually.

(Can't wait for your interview... so envious!)

The Pretentious Know it All said...

What the hell happened to Lasse Halstrom after this gem?

Alison Flynn said...

You covered one of my absolute favorite parts of that movie in this post. :)

Blinking Cursor said...

Just an fyi that there are seedless watermelons on the market. They're quite popular and have surpassed the old time variety with seeds. In a way this is too bad as that many believe that watermelons with seeds have a sweeter taste.

I'm embarassed to admit that I've never seen 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape.' I must make a mental note to watch this sometime soon...

cal roth said...

He made two very good movies, Something to Talk About and The Cider House Rules. And lost his touch...

Too bad, because My Life as a Dog will still be one of the best movies ever made.

jtagliere said...

Any good mention of Gilbert Grape is all right by me. I love, love, LOVE this film. I'm so thrilled you covered the "I wasn't always like this" part. I also love the John C.Reilly/Crispin Glover interaction, especially when Glover drives the hearse to the opening of the fast food joint.

I can't be the only one who adores Peter Hedges' "Dan in Real Life."

NicksFlickPicks said...

Just as long as we're totally clear that you totally jacked me into coughing up the Rabbit Hole grade, and continue to withhold on the Juliette interview. This makes clear that I am a worthless negotiator and poker player, but also that you completely owe me. Where is the trust? Why can't you be a merciful god?

NATHANIEL R said...

nick -- i do owe you. but to my defense and your discredit, who ever believes me when I say WHEN something is coming? I'm always late.

which is weird because in real life am so punctual. early even!

Jordan Ruimy said...

Such a great, simple movie. It was on TV just today. The most heartbreaking for me was when she gets out of the house to get her son from the police station.

Aaron said...

I love that scene in the movie. So honest and heartfelt. Really one of Juliette's best performances, and all around great movie. Watched it just a couple of months ago.

And, I too hate watermelons. Never have liked them haha.

Glenn said...

Love this movie. Watched it many times when it came out on VHS. And that scene you describe between Cates and Lewis is just superb and beautifully done.

Katey said...

Match in the gas tank, boom boom!

I could go at any time. Any time, really.

That movie was an oft-repeated one in my family when I was a kid, and yes, I know it's a weird family favorite choice.