Monday, October 04, 2010

Big is Good.

Jose here.



Money may not sleep but apparently our creativity does. Watching Wall Street the other day I couldn't help but ask myself how is it that technology took a turn on us at some point and now cell phones are going big again?

I know nothing will ever be as big as that brick Gordon Gekko checks out of jail in the sequel...



...but in theory the things we saw back in '87 are still going on today...sorta. It seems that for a while technology was driven towards making everything so tiny. Remember those cell phones that were supposed to be implanted in our molars? With the advent of the i Phone it seems that now all they want is to go back to a reasonable size that makes your hand feel like you are carrying something (have you noticed how hot those things can get sometimes?).

Can this be some sort of cautionary tale about how the excess of the 80's fooled the 90's into downsizing and then the 00's reminded us again about how weak we really are? OK someone stop me before I start sounding like Oliver Stone.

Speaking of which, have you seen it yet? Were you as baffled as I was? Are you more in love than ever with Carey Mulligan? Tell us!

6 comments:

Andrew R. said...

Haven't seen it, don't want to. I'm sick of Shia LeBouef.

Cici said...

Haven't seen it, don't want to. I'm sick of Carey Mulligan. Plus she needs to grow her hair back and stop bleaching it, it looks hideous.

Clover said...

I love Carey but felt she had a hard time struggling to get the american accent right

pomme said...

i'm not in love of Carey Mulligan and she must stop to cry in the movie

Jazz said...

It opens here tomorrow. I'm going to see it this weekend.
but i'm going to need to revist Wall Street - the first one and that brick phone :D
can't wait

NATHANIEL R said...

i didn't see it yet but i'm glad things didn't get any tinier. I lose things easily enough as is.

i keep hearing how inessential the film is which is probably not what Oliver Stone was hoping for. people seem so "meh" in their reactions.