Sunday, January 08, 2006

FB AWARDS The Next Batch

Six categories previously posted: Picture, Actor, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Visual Effects, and Ensemble Work. Two more categories now posted...

Best Make-Up
Also known as Makeup and Hairstyling. Underwhelmed by the Geisha I was (even in this way) and so many effects films now use CG rather than makeup to create odd characters that some of those aren't in my lineup either. So sue me. My three choices mix it up with tough guys, android prostitutes, duplicitous fauns and icy sorceresses.

Best Original Screenplay
One of my very favorite categories each year. I love the creation of new worlds of great characters, sparkling dialogue, and narrative smarts. My favorite discoveries this year involve childlike adults, social climbing murder, a nasty divorce, and a certain 40 year old virgin. Lots of honorable mentions --as per usual the honorable mentions in this category are stronger than many of the nominees from the adapted screenplay competition.

Breakthrough Award
Three new faces; a Thai kick-boxing sensation, a hypnotic German actress (hey someone's gotta take the roles in Germany since Franka Potente has gone all Hollywood), and a Native American princess join two "where have I seen you before?" faces suddenly gaining name recognition for their gift.

12 comments:

adam k. said...

Surprising to see three of your top-ten entries supplanted in original screenplay by Squid, Match Point and Virgin... well, I guess not really, especially Squid and Match Point. But I thought GNaGL would find a way in. I kind of expect it to win the oscar now that Match Point is looking weaker, though Haggis will be pulling a number of pity votes from last year. But what will win the film bitch award, Me, You... or Caché? Hmm...

Anonymous said...

My favorite make-up for the year is the AWESOME body make-up in The New World. I love almost everything about the film, in fact. I think James Horner's score is wonderful, too, if remeniscent of Alexandre Desplat's terrific score for Birth.

Javier Aldabalde said...

Awesome Original Screenplay line-up! And I'm hoping for a Q'Orianka win for Breakthrough Actor this year, though I guess it's kinda inevitable that Howard will take that (though he's got 2 films to his credit this year!)

Anonymous said...

What can I say in addition to FB AWARDS The Next Batch ? I think that you explained it very well! Would you be interested in a website about scommesse sportive ? Have a jump on it and look for something that you can be interested in! You'll find only scommesse sportive .

Anonymous said...

Nat,

I don't want to be picky, but were you influenced by WGA in order to include 40 year-old virgin in your top five or was that something you had thought of before?

russtifer said...

So glad to see The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Nathaniel.

Glenn Dunks said...

lol@newland. Nat is anything but swayed by precursors.

Can I just make an observation. As of right now - if I were to announce awards such as your own, my makeup line up would look exactly the same. 2046 was one of the most beautiful films of the year, non? I wonder if you will give it a slot in Cinematography and Production Design?

I would DIE if it nommed for an Oscar. Somewhere. Anywhere. Zhang Ziyi for Supporting Actress would be too good to be true.

Glenn Dunks said...

YAY for Joan Allen! I was expecting Miranda July to be at least an alternate however.

Javier Aldabalde said...

Gwyneth Paltrow?

adam k. said...

I was not expecting Knightley to make the cut when Nate called her "fine but not spectacular", but then there are not many strong contenders this year.

And I thought Theron would be a semifinalist or something, too.

John T said...

I thought the exact same thing about Rachel Weisz after I watched the movie-excellent choices (likely better than the Academy)

NATHANIEL R said...

fwiw i still feel that Knightley was fine but not spectacular.

but i feel that way about the honorable mentions as well... and Theron would be next on the list if the list went to #14. She was definitely much stronger than the film.