Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Writers & Producers Guild Nominees

Producers Guild Nominees
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN / CAPOTE / CRASH / GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK. / WALK THE LINE

* very good news for Capote & Crash. very bad news for Cinderella Man & Munich. Since I prefer Capote (a lot) and Crash (slightly) I'm down with that. Though of course I really wish I'd seen A History of Violence here.

Writers Guild Nominees
Adapted
BROKEBACK, CAPOTE, THE CONSTANT GARDENER, A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, and SYRIANA
Original
CINDERELLA MAN, CRASH, THE 40-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN, GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK, THE SQUID AND THE WHALE

* good news for Crash (again) --I don't think I was so dumb to have it predicted for awhile now despite many doubters. And another major blow to Munich. I was Munich's only real doubter for months. Other boosted films here: Constant Gardener, Cinderella Man, and Syriana (which I think will also score at SAG tomorrow)

Overall biggest gainer today:(tie) CRASH & CAPOTE
Overall biggest stumbler: MUNICH (Runners up: KING KONG & MATCH POINT)
Slow and Steady wins the race: BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK

7 comments:

adam k. said...

Well the 40 Year Old Virgin thing is not so shocking (a la Mean Girls) but I'm surprised they dissed Match Point for Cinderella Man AND that. You'd think they'dve at least chucked the former.

russtifer said...

The 40-Year-Old Virgin is totally underrated as a respectable comedy. Great work, WGA!

NATHANIEL R said...

anthony -agreed on matchpoint. The Academy has always loved Woody more than the precursors have.

adam k. said...

with this WGA nod, I don't think it's inconceivable that aHoV could see a director/screenplay/supporting/supporting foursome... and from there, best picture could be possible if unlikely, especially with Munich, Kong, and Match Point all floundering.

Javier Aldabalde said...

I still think the PGA made boooring choices, though at least they shaked things up a bit.

Glenn Dunks said...

lol, why no Cronenberg in that top 5 chaz?

Anyway.

PGA - I correctly got 4/5. I had King Kong instead of Capote

WGA - I got 4/5 for adapted. I had Pride & Prejudice instead of Syriana.

In original I got 3/5. I had Match Point instead of Cinderella Man and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang instead of The 40-Year-Old Virgin. I was sorta close in their thinking, but I went with the nudge nudge wink wink Hollywood buddy comedy instead of risque toilet humour of Virgin. (that wasn't a dig at Virgin, I haven't even seen it)

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP http://www.jobs8.info/freepicofeveloloferrari.html Volkswagen passat v5 review