Saturday, April 26, 2008

Cannes is Coming. Sean Penn Proclaimed Chief Opinion-Maker

Having served on a film festival jury and about to again, I'm always interested to know who will be taste-making for the Cannes festival. (Or course my duties and Cannes duties are dissimilar. Perhaps it's like neighborhood junior league to the World Series but I don't know sports so my analogy is surely wanting. Shut up!) To be on the jury at Cannes you generally have to be world reknowned or heavily awarded in the arts ...preferably both. If you're a beautiful famous actress, sometimes they let awardage slide and err on the side of fame. Here's who will be deciding who wins the Palme D'Or and other career-making honors this year...

Head of the Jury

actor/director/activist/next year's best actor Oscar winner?
"Is that my Palme D'Or winner in there? is that my Palme D'Or winner in therrrrre?"

Jury Members


Pictured from left to right: Actresses: Natalie Portman (USA) who you all know and (presumably) love, Alexandra Maria Lara (Born in Romania / Raised in Germany) who we recently saw in Control. Directors: Alfonso Cuaron (Mexico) Y Tu Mama Tambien and Children of Men mark him as one of my favorite working directors, Rachid Bouchareb (France) who was nominated for Oscar's Best Foreign Language film recently with Algeria's Indigenes (Days of Glory), Actor: Sergio Castellito (Italy) who recently moved into directing with Don't Move (Italy) and Director Apichatpong "Joe" Weerasethakul of Blissfully Yours and Tropical Malady fame (Thailand).

16 comments:

J.D. said...

Me likey the Jury. Yes.

Anonymous said...

Sorry but I don't get the Portman love.
I really tried to watch her stuff, but even in Closer Roberts stole the show for me. I don't know, she seems so normal

Catherine said...

I'm seconding alex, I don't get Portman. I find her more irritating than endearing, tbh.

Anonymous said...

The jury last year was much MUCH better.

Love Penn, Cuaron and Lara.

But nothing can beat last years line up of Sarah Polley, Toni Collette, Stephen Fears!!!

Janice said...

Penn, I'm fine with. But Portman????

NATHANIEL R said...

i personally don't get Lara. I thought she was bad in CONTROL but maybe she's great in her other films?

Robert said...

This jury is kinda odd. I wanna see Sean Penn and Achipatpong argue about whether to award the most bombastically overdirected film or the one where basically nothing happens

Robert said...

*Apichatpong

know what... Joe.

NATHANIEL R said...

robert --can you shoot me an e-mail? filmexperience (at) gmail (dot) com

it's re: something off-topic.

thanks

Anonymous said...

Nat you have to check out Downfall Lara was quite good in it.

Control I haven't seen so I can't say.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I did not want to be mean or catty when speaking of Portman.
I just think that a lot of people like her because she's very pretty and she seems to be a good girl, unlike the other female stars of her generation who act like real bitches.

She acts well, but like a graduate who's performing before a panel and knows he/she is good. You can see the wheels turning.

Anonymous said...

Yeah love this line-up except for Lara. They should've got Scarlett instead seeing as they were going down the 2 pretty young things route.

Anonymous said...

But one of Scarlet's films is in competition "Vicki Christina Barcelona"...conflict of interest. Maybe Hathaway?

Anonymous said...

When I heard that Cuaron was on the jury, I assumed he'd be the head. Seems weird to me that he's not.

Glenn said...

Vicki Cristina Barcelona is showing out of contention ala Match Point. Right?

The Lara choice is strange, yes. Was Audrey Tautou unavailable?

Glenn said...

* out of competition, natch