Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Hump Day Hottie, Dennis Quaid

Another Vanity Fair magazine retro coming your way a little later today but while I prepare, I'm sipping coffee and imagining a chit-chat with birthday boy Dennis Quaid, happy 54th!, whilst doing so. Sometimes in weaker (read: deranged) moments I imagine myself having my own talk show, like one Rupert Pupkin. But I promise I'm not that crazy. I don't rehearse in a basement with cardboard cut-outs. I don't even have one... oh, wait. OK, only one.

<--- Dennis apparently drinks Starbucks. Ewww. Home brew is the way to go. But I still love him. I'm still pissed he wasn't Oscar nominated for his wound tight angry closet case in Far From Heaven. What a rich treasure chest full of performances that film was.

Dennis is looking for love again in Smart People (with Ellen Page, SJP, and Thomas Hayden Church) which opens this Friday. I skipped Vantage Point but I usually try to be there for Mr. Quaid (Dennis, not Randy please). He's aging really well, don't you think? Crow's feet go real well with that huge ever familiar grin. That grin! [sigh]


He coulda played the Joker in the 1989's Batman... if they wanted the Joker to exude sex appeal rather than insanity. Which... well, it would have been a different direction to take it, yes.

Every once in a while I get angry that the internet has such a gap when it comes to 80s & early 90s stars. You can find tributes to classic movie stars everywhere and its impossible to avoid modern celebrities...even D-Listers. But people whose heyday came before the days of flickr but aren't old enough for the nostalgia market? Forget it. So many great photoshoots lost in the chasm between fan clippings and flickr.

Dennis doesn't even have an official site unless you count DQ & the Sharks... (celebrities and their bands. Does everyone have one?). He doesn't even have a decent fansite. There's one but it's got no photos. And when you look like Dennis Quaid still does (pictured, right), photos you deserve!

My favorite Quaid performances are probably Breaking Away (for nostalgia --the first time you know), The Big Easy and Far From Heaven and maybe The Rookie. He's so easy to enjoy. Your favorite?

previously on "hump day hotties"
Drew Barrymore, Matthew Barney, Natalie Wood, Carice van Houten, 2007 Best Actor nominees and many more...
*

12 comments:

ryansumera said...

i like my quaid lite...and in a towel. postcards, undercover blues, innerspace.

Sam said...

He was so freaking hot in The Big Easy that it was almost too much to take.

Anonymous said...

Just realized now: Eric Mabius is the new Deniis Quaid.

Catherine said...

I haven't seen that many, but I do love Breaking Away. Far From Heaven goes without saying of course, but there's just something so lovely and relaxed about BA - makes me wanna resurrect my bike and go off cycling...

Anonymous said...

You might be missing a bet taking a pass on "Vantage Point". He's a bit over-the-top and the mayhem is overblownup, but I saw it last weekend and thought it was a solid action thriller that, for a change, asked the audience to pay attention to the story and remember something longer than fifteen seconds. Probably why the critics were unimpressed.

Anonymous said...

My favourite, by some considerable way, is his wacky Postcards turn ("As far as discretion goes, what were you doing? Comparing notes?!"), but I'll always keep fond memories of Innerspace too.

Rob

Anonymous said...

My favourite, by some considerable way, is his wacky Postcards turn ("As far as discretion goes, what were you doing? Comparing notes?!"), but I'll always keep fond memories of Innerspace too.

Rob

Anonymous said...

Dennis Quaid is a most excellent choice. The Big Easy for 80s Quaid; I have a soft spot for sensitive guy Quaid (In Good Company was very sweet). But Far From Heaven was the best one; that movie devastates.

Anonymous said...

Kind of love my Dennis in The Right Stuff.

Anonymous said...

Well, I always liked him, but I only love him as an actor since Far from Heaven - he really surprised me then and I'm still recovering I guess...

Anonymous said...

The Big Easy, hands down. Stuffed gator and all.

I've seen DQ and the Sharks in concert and they were very entertaining. Talk about eye candy!

LJ said...

how can no one mention dragonheart?...that movie was awesome