Wednesday, December 08, 2010

"Hoist My Spanks Up!" The Ever-Delightful Queen Helen Mirren Speaks Out.

Behold: Helen Mirren at the Women in Hollywood event. Once she's done re-revelling in Halle Berry's Oscar win (Berry must have preceded her onto the stage), she brings us to the now with this smackdown of Hollywood's relentless and innate sexism.



You don't often hear celebrities getting pointed about the hand that feeds them. Like...
I resent having witnessed in my life the survival of some very mediocre male actors and the professional demise of some very brilliant female ones...
So do I, Helen, so do I. But alas... it's not just Hollywood's fault. The audience has to be held accountable too, don't they? Which tail is wagging which dog exactly?
*

5 comments:

Jorge Rodrigues said...

I don't know how come NO ONE commented yet on the "Hoist my spanks up!" remark from the Dame!

God that woman is cheeky! She has such a unique, interesting personality.

NATHANIEL R said...

i so agree. I wish i liked her acting more ;)

that is to say, she's a very good actress. She's just not one I connect to in a super major way onscreen. But i L-O-V-E her as a celebrity. always.

Jorge Rodrigues said...

Yes, I too am not terribly fond of her.

She is a very charismatic person and very clever too, from what she shows on interviews, but yes, she isn't that kind of actress one connects to in a very personal level.

Judi Dench is another fine example of that. Love the woman and some of her perfs, but can't quite seem to LOVE the actress.

/3rtfu11 said...

I love Judi Dench. She never seems like she’s acting to me. Always relaxed in whatever character she’s playing. Too bad her Oscar is a makeup one.

Manuel said...

The very first time I saw Helen Mirren was in the miniseries Prime Suspect. And I was hooked