Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Year in Review: Music Videos a.k.a. Short Movie Musicals

I couldn't be happier that the music video has regained its cultural capital in the age of YouTube. There's something about the form that is just magical. Or maybe it's just that it's been the most reliable fix for movie-musical lovers during the past 30 years. You can pretend these 3 to 5 minute show stoppers are but one scene in a larger movie musical, can't you? At least that's what I do with my favorite videos.

So herewith, several favorites in no particular order. If you're wondering what music videos have to do with The Film Experience remember that they're short films and that this year's most celebrated director David Fincher (The Social Network) started that mammoth career by making mammoth music videos for Madonna (among others).

Please to enjoy. And let me know your favorite(s) in the comments.

8 FAV MUSIC VIDEOS OF '10
Why only 8? I ran out of steam. You don't have time to watch 10 anyway.


Brandon Flowers "Crossfire"

In which Charlize Theron kicks much ninja ass. I love the self-effacing helplessness of your rock star hero who just can't stop getting into predicaments from which his hot girl (Charlize) must rescue him. Movie stars slumming in music videos is one of the best things in the world though this video does bring up my constant worry about Charlize: Why is she so awesome without making any movies worth caring about?



Janelle Monáe (feat. Big Boi) "Tightrope"

Those feet. The way they slide, spin, shuffle, dance. It's quite a feat.



Cosmo Jarvis "Gay Pirate".

I heart this so hard. That "Yo Ho" chorus is to die. Plus, it's lit and choreographed cleverly for one take (joy) and it's easily enjoyable both on the surface -- gay pirates!  -- and moreso if you want to dig deeper (think don't ask don't tell) which is the best kind of artistic trick.

But there's more: Jake Gyllenhaal, Gaga, and more one-take madness coming...

...



Lady Gaga (feat. Beyoncé) "Telephone"

I mostly love this one for the costumes, the Amazon aggression and the Kill Bill and Thelma & Louise shout outs. True story: I was playing charades the other night at a Christmas party and I had to act out this dance. HIGHLY EMBARRASSING.


Cazwell "Ice Cream Truck" [NSFW]

Because it's raunchy/hilarious (NSFW). Cazwell's songs sometimes have good laughs (I Saw Beyoncé at Burger King -lol) but this is the first video to match/surpass the fun embedded in the song.



Vampire Weekend "Giving Up the Gun"

Four things we love in different contexts entirely: tennis, Vampire Weekend, funny Jake Gyllenhaal, people battling with themselves through the magic of movie editing. These four things together = quadruple happiness.


Cee-Lo "F*** You"

A musical biopic (of sorts) that's actually entertaining. The only thing that would make this video better is if Cristal, Ronnette & Chiffon were playing the doo-wop chorus behind the counter.


Ok Go "This Too Shall Pass"
[Rube Goldberg Machine Version]

Ingenuity, humor, and one take which continually ups the ante. It's for anyone who has ever marvelled at How Things Work. The ending is so great. The one take thing is an addiction we too rarely get a fix of -- we love it within feature films even more; over there it's an endangered species known as "the long take."  I couldn't find much statistical data about ASL (average shot length) on the web -- most of it is really random studies of singular movies but everyone knows it's been decreasing steadily for years. It's definitely under 4 seconds now, maybe closer to 2 with action films, which are even more shard fragment-like coming in under that.

Now it's your turn. Which music videos did you love this year?

Exit Music: This last one isn't an all time great music video, but it's my absofavorite song this year so I have to end with it.

18 comments:

SVG said...

I'm terrible with music videos- I haven't even seen half of these. Now I know what I'm going to be doing for the next half hour!

Although any of them would be doing well to beat my favourite of the year- I Feel Better by Hot Chip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk

Ryan T. said...

Definitely agree with you regarding the videos for "Crossfire," "Giving Up The Gun," and "This Too Shall Pass." I actually like the type-only video for "Fuck You" more than this official video. Have you seen the video for Brandon Flower's other release "Only the Young"? Would like to hear what you thought of it.

I really like that song you picked for Robyn, but I'm so much more into her song "Hang With Me." Video for that is pretty cool too, I guess.

Finally, I really enjoyed Pink's "Raise Your Glass" song and video. She always comes up with interesting videos.

Nikhat said...

Ok Go are geniuses! I love all their videos. I really liked the Vampire Weekend one too.
Though the song isn't great, Coldplay's Christmas Lights has a very good-looking video. Also The XX- Islands is pretty awesome.

No offence, but I was appalled by Telephone- it just ruined brilliant films. Also, while we're on the subject of Gaga, I was searching on Fincher-Madonna Vogue video and the comments said it looked like Alejandro (or whatever). Wth????

Klemen said...

Great choices, but you have to have to have to (really have to:)) watch 'The lady is dead'. I guess it's not technically a music video, but a video that uses music, but it's one of the best things I've ever seen.

Cluster Funk said...

What, no Whip My Hair? ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKLymvwD2U

OtherRobert said...

The only thing stopping "Tightrope" from being a great video is the director's insistence on routinely cutting away from the feet in the video. It is a dance video based on footwork. You don't cut out the footwork. Now I'll never know how to tip on the tight-rope.

mrripley said...

I think charlize is getting her mojo back she has filmed the latest jason reitman movie and he has done wonders with the actresses he has worked with so far and is in eastwood's hoover with dicaprio.

George P. said...

LOL, I was thinking of Cazwell's video when I read the post title, and was delighted to see it on the list!

As for my favorite videos of the year:

*Blake Lewis - Heartbreak On Vinyl
*Dan Black - Symphonies
*Diane Birch - Valentino
*Kat DeLuna f/Akon - Push Push
*Kelis - Acapella
*Keri Hilson - Pretty Girl Rock
*Kylie Minogue - All The Lovers
*Kylie Minogue - Get Outta My Way
*Margaret Cho f/Tegan & Sara - Intervention
*One Eskimo - Kandi
*Robyn - Dancing On My Own
*Sara Bareilles - King Of Anything
*Toni Braxton - Make My Heart

Beau McCoy said...

Kanye West's 'Runaway' - best video of the year.

Actually, I'd go so far as to say it's one of the best films of the year.

UncleVanya said...

Can't argue with Robyn, but "Wait & See", a song by Diamond Rings (A Toronto band that sounds like B Spears, Soft Cell and The Strokes bore a child), is a close second. Just brilliant and yummy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PSsBdGQS2M

Glenn said...

I don't watch enough music videos (even for songs I like) to really do a "list", but my favourites of those that I saw would definitely be "Invisible Light" by the Scissor Sisters, "This Too Shall Pass" by OK Go, "Tight Rope" by Janelle Monae" and both "Bang Bang Bang" and "Somebody to Love Me" by Mark Ronson and the Business Intl (the latter featuring Boy George).

Ryan said...

sigh, Jake just epitomizes goofy sexyness...

Deivith Coast said...

I can´t completely agree with the comment about Monae´s feet, because when we don´t see her feet we see her wonderful face and her face (specially her eyes) is such a powerful instrument!!Don´t you love it? It´s amazing!! Have you seen Cold War?? Great music video á la Sinead O´Connor. Perfect.

I love your GaGa(but I also love Alejandro), Ok Go, Gay Pirates and Monae choices. Also love the one by Brandon Flowers. But, though I love the song and the idea of guest stars, the music video of Giving up the gun doesn´t work for me, don´t know why. And I prefer other videos by Cazwell soo much, specially It´s all over your face...And F*** you is funny but it seems deja vu to me, maybe due to Beautiful Girls? And definetly Dancing on my own is the best song, heartbreaking, love Robyn so much...

Invisible Light by Scissor Sisters is one of the best of the year, also love the ones by Arcade Fire, The Suburbs directed by Jonze is great, but We Used to Wait...That´s heaven, they reflect the spirit of the whole CD and they move us all, and they made it interactive!!Also, Drunk Girls by LCD Soundsystem is greatness. And too bad there wasn´t space for Kanye´s minifilm of his masterpiece, his new album is perfect and his audiovisual 30 min. work is epic. Also enjoyed MGMT new videos, or Gainsbourg´s Heaven can wait (IRM=amazing album!), both works by Kylie Minogue, Do Wa Doo by Kate Nash, Stylo by Gorillaz(another great masterpiece his Plastic Beach)or the polemic Born Free by M.I.A. I agree with the one who metions Raise your Glass by Pink. Fantastic and always interesting. I love the use of colour in her music videos.

Oh and if you want to see a great low cost music video by a Spanish artist, watch "Anoche" by Christina Rosenvinge. I know you´ll love it! The choreography is gorgeous!

Definetly, to me at least, 2010 has been a magnificient year for music.

Deivith Coast said...

I can´t completely agree with the comment about Monae´s feet, because when we don´t see her feet we see her wonderful face and her face (specially her eyes) is such a powerful instrument!!Don´t you love it? It´s amazing!! Have you seen Cold War?? Great music video á la Sinead O´Connor. Perfect.

I love your GaGa(but I also love Alejandro), Ok Go, Gay Pirates and Monae choices. Also love the one by Brandon Flowers. But, though I love the song and the idea of guest stars, the music video of Giving up the gun doesn´t work for me, don´t know why. And I prefer other videos by Cazwell soo much, specially It´s all over your face...And F*** you is funny but it seems deja vu to me, maybe due to Beautiful Girls? And definetly Dancing on my own is the best song, heartbreaking, love Robyn so much...

Invisible Light by Scissor Sisters is one of the best of the year, also love the ones by Arcade Fire, The Suburbs directed by Jonze is great, but We Used to Wait...That´s heaven, they reflect the spirit of the whole CD and they move us all, and they made it interactive!!Also, Drunk Girls by LCD Soundsystem is greatness. And too bad there wasn´t space for Kanye´s minifilm of his masterpiece, his new album is perfect and his audiovisual 30 min. work is epic. Also enjoyed MGMT new videos, or Gainsbourg´s Heaven can wait (IRM=amazing album!), both works by Kylie Minogue, Do Wa Doo by Kate Nash, Stylo by Gorillaz(another great masterpiece his Plastic Beach)or the polemic Born Free by M.I.A. I agree with the one who metions Raise your Glass by Pink. Fantastic and always interesting. I love the use of colour in her music videos.

Oh and if you want to see a great low cost music video by a Spanish artist, watch "Anoche" by Christina Rosenvinge. I know you´ll love it! The choreography is gorgeous!

Definetly, to me at least, 2010 has been a magnificient year for music.

Todd said...

You should look at Sunday Best or Rich Kids by Washington. Sunday Best has a bit of a film theme to it.

Florin said...

where is Alejandro? That was the best.

Deus Ex Machina said...

Best video: Charlotte Gainsbourg's Time of the Assassins, from uber simple to uber weird LOVE!
Runner up: Fever Ray's When I grow up. It's as if it's a Zombie version Virgin Suicides.

Torrent Download said...

It is a dance video based on footwork. You don't cut out the footwork. Now I'll never know how to tip on the tight-rope.