Monday, December 26, 2005

Argh

It's difficult to compile a top ten list (100s of people manage... but I still find it excruciating). And it's this time of year in which you realize that grading systems suck. There's this B+ I can't seem to drop... in favor of anything. So why isn't it an A- ? And a B that I think "if i'm still thinking about this movie this much, shouldn't I have been much kinder?" etc... I hate snap judgments. Don't release 100 movies in December, Hollywood. Play nice. Argh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the Top 10 List keeps on getting more exciting.

Which films will be placed from sixth to tenth?
Apparently, "Caché" will be number 6. Then, there are 8 films for 4 positions...
And, "Match Point", "The White Countess" and "The New World" to be considered.

I would like to be in "Being Nat Rogers" this moment.

Marcelo.

Anonymous said...

Which film will be number 1?

Marcelo.

Glenn Dunks said...

I know that whole B+ situation. I don't feel comfortable giving a couple of movies more than a B+ but then I also don't feel they deserve to be lumped into B+ territory.

adam k. said...

I think of a B+ as a good (read: not great) movie with that little something extra that makes it more special than most, while an A- is a potentially great movie that just isn't quite transcendent or magical for whatever reason. The distinctions often seem moot, but I just try to think, "is this a near great movie or just a very good movie?" Same with C+/B- when I ask "is this basically a mediocre with some nice moments, or is this a good movie with a few problems?" etc.