Thursday, December 01, 2005

Poster? (I Hardly Even Knew Her!)

Ooohs and ahhs, y'all: the official Oscar posters have been unveiled.

And, yes, in the male one it certainly does look like Oscar is standing in for a big, golden phallus. Not like he hasn't always been viewed as such. I'm choosing to view that poster as an avant garde statement against the dearth of Best Actress contenders this year. Of course, it would have made for better symmetry if the female poster were holding a pair of Golden Globes. I'm saying!

Anyway, crudeness aside, here's what I'm wondering: The posters are supposedly culled from "vintage photos of Oscar winners from the past." So why hasn't the Internet already sussed out which headless torsos are being featured? Don't tell me everyone has had something better to do today. There has to be some Oscar obsessive out there who knows those poses by heart. Hop to it, fanatics!

[pseudo-editor's note: I feel kind of like a deadbeat dad this week, blogging with my secret family across town while my own blog goes negelected and hungry. I'm a polyblogamist, and I don't think I'm too proud of it. Anyhoo, I hope to entertain you while Nathaniel's gone.]

8 comments:

NicksFlickPicks said...

Surely that's Audrey Hepburn?

For Your Speculation (Big Ted) said...

It's Julie Andrews.

http://www.hola.com/cine/especiales/oscar2003/historia_aroja/img/alfombra6.jpg

Glenn Dunks said...

I new I had seen the female one before!

I think (don't ask me why) that the man is Frank Sinatra.

-Glenn

Gustavo H.R. said...

Nathaniel, your weblog has been nominated for the SPOILER AWARD in the Best Cinematographic Concept.
The nomination is kind of debatable, as you're an insane Spielberg hater, but congratulations anyway. Here's the link: http://www.spoiler.blogger.com.br/.

Glenn Dunks said...

er....

-Glenn

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

I'm guessing it's Brando...

Nick M. said...

Yes, the male one does look like a stand in for a male phallus. But isn't that what Oscars are, anyway? A compensation for actors who receive them.

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Pihrana paintball Dedicated server e-commerce hosting plans new zealand new zealand singapore singapore ssh webhost http://www.bigpicturesroses.info Facts of green tea to lose weight Audi cabriolet wind deflector A sex slave for a angl nike shoes battlefield dedicated server command 1985 ford ranger distributor problems Coffe maker cobalt blue Online persciption for ativan Ford pickup seat covers Webserver stress tool edition download