Monday, December 12, 2005

The Group Who Didn't Yell "First!"

The National Board of Review have announced their awards... just a few days behind schedule. Here are the results. I'm doing pretty well this year prediction wise. Some huge lapse of judgment will have to occur on my part very soon to even things out. So... to make a long story short.

Good news and multiple prizes for... Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Memoirs of a Geisha, Hustle & Flow, A History of Violence, and Good Night, and Good Luck.

Bad news for... shut outs Cinderella Man, Pride & Prejudice, and The Family Stoneand a 'we only like you because you have great special effects' perfunctory nod to King Kong.

6 comments:

Javier Aldabalde said...

The mention of "King Kong" is an insult more than anything else. I think their choices were pretty good this year, though, at least better than last year's (I mean "Finding Neverland"?? Come on...)

Javier Aldabalde said...

and more great news for film experience fans... the NYFCC give their main awards to "Brokeback" and "Violence". Sweet...

adam k. said...

So are you not mad about the Jake thing? You've said "yes, it's a lead role" but I see no eyelashes batting at his win here, only a simple "yum" ; )

It kind of reads as if the NBR was shouting out, "look! It's okay, you can for him in supporting! See? We did it!" I love how much this helps him (he still seems the shakiest of the three cast hopefuls, mainly because of the semifraud issue), but I think this bodes very very well for him. He's the last person I expected to win this.

Do you think Gong can manage the academy nod still? I mean, the film is at 28% on RT... that's just embarrassing.

I, for one, correctly predicted Baumbach here, but mainly because I was expected Crash and Match Point to be amply rewarded in other categories, which they weren't.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

The minor award for "King Kong" is proof that the NBR isn't really a big fan of Peter Jackson's recent work; none of the "Lord of the Rings" films were ever in their top 10 getting only special mentions and a body of acting work for Cate Blnachett back in '01. therefore I don't think this means anything big for Kong. It will still make the BP list at the Oscars.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think Jose brings up an excellent point.

Anonymous said...

dang, mr mortensen is mesmerizing in a history of violence..