Wednesday, December 21, 2005

King Kong is Everywhere

I was going to do a big heavily researched post about how King Kong is a crucial part of the collective consciousness. Not quite on the order of say, The Wizard of Oz, but pretty stable in its instant recognition factor. So... anyway. This post was going to survey recent pop culture references like, say...


plus throw in some visual referencing and whatnot. But then I came across this unbelievable ditty from (arguably) the greatest pop band of all time, ABBA. And I figured it doesn't get any better so I'll quit while I'm ahead. The song was recorded in 1973 predating even the failed 70s remake about the Big Ape's tragic adventure. So since I can't play music on my blog, I present you the lyrics to:

ABBA's "King Kong Song"


"Well I was looking at a movie on the TV last night
Then I had a very funny notion, yeah
I really had to write a song about it
And then I'm gonna sing it with my rock'n roll band
And I bet the people gonna like it, yeah
I know that everybody's gonna shout it

And what a dreadful mighty killer
A big black wide gorilla

Chorus:
(We do the) King Kong song, won't you sing along
Listen to the music and it couldn't go wrong
We do the Kong Kong song, gotta sing along
Can't you hear the beating of the monkey tom-tom
Listen to the rhythm of the King Kong song

Now we can make the jungle out of any old place
We can make gorillas out of people, yeah
Well who can tell a monkey from a monkey?
So people get together, gonna have a good time
Everybody listen to the music, yeah
'Cause what we're gonna sing is kinda funky

So let your arms hang down
And waddle all around
Like a dreadful mighty killer
A big black wide gorilla

[Repeat Chorus]

Like a dreadful mighty killer
A big black wide gorilla

[Repeat Chorus & Fade]


This choice track is available on ABBA's Waterloo LP.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A strong contender for the title of Worst ABBA Song Of All Time? Though that award is very much like the Visual Effects Oscar; there aren't enough eligible submissions for a full shortlist.

Rob

Gilidor said...

There's a funny love song to the big ape from Bruno Blanchet that goes something like:

"Tous les jours
24 heures
Ça fait King Kong dans mon coeur"

In English (but then it doesn't rhyme):
Every Day
24 hours
My heart goes King Kong

Tonio Kruger said...

What? No Jim Croce reference to boot? For shame...

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Low rise patent leather pants acne Hypoallergenic mattress freeware popup blocker macintosh osx blocker explorer for internet popup Search engine optimization cincinnati Librium vs ativan Long realtor douglas arizona location of inertia switch 1989 oldsmobile Bontril 105 discount International scholarships