Wednesday, December 07, 2005

When worlds collide

Okay - I admit that the Whitney Biennial is a bit much to take for the uninitiated. But today I was sitting in my office flipping through a new exhibition catalogue and it hit me: this is the exhibit that will bring us all together. Moving Pictures, currently at Williams College Museum of Art, explores the parallels and interactions between 19th century American painting and the emerging art of cinema. They've got great examples of early movies by pioneers such as the Lumière brothers and Edison hanging side-by-side with paintings by American masters like Eakins and Bellows. For those of you in the Massachusetts area, you've got just a few more days - the exhibit closes at Williams on the 11th. But then it travels to NYU's Grey Art Gallery, the Phillips Collection in DC and Reynolda House in North Carolina. And if you don't find yourself along the Eastern seabord in the upcoming year, check out the catalogue, which comes with an accompanying DVD. (If that doesn't work for you, the website has a few examples streaming online.) It's a great chance to see the ancestors of today's blockbusters. And, even better, an excellent chance to see some gorgeous paintings. Seriously, I'm not going to rest until I get you all into an art museum. I'm a man with a mission.

7 comments:

Javier Aldabalde said...

A connection between 19th century painting and cinema?? I think that's utterly fascinating! though of course, I'm like 1 million km. away from that,

Anonymous said...

What? I've seen that Girl With a Pearl Earring movie, dude. I don't need no art museum!

...Actually, I really enjoy art museums. But I live in Carbondale, Illinois. And no interesting "exhibits" come through here.

MUST. RETURN. TO. NEW. YORK.

NicksFlickPicks said...

Is Patti Clarkson in this? (I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.)

Nick M. said...

Williams College? Lame. How close is that to Boston?

Oh, and what are the dates of the exhibition in Manhattan?

Dr. S said...

TB, this is terrific! I'm so excited that you've drawn our attention to the website with the streaming video. Hooray.

ryan said...

Nick M: I've no idea where Williams is in relation to Boston - the exhibit will be at NYC next year Nov-Dec.

I'm so pleased for the excitement for the museums. Just wait - I've got more!

Anonymous said...

Williams is on the other side of Massachusetts from Boston, in the Berkshires. It's almost on the New York border. It's essentially in the middle of nowhere and it is really not fun to drive to in the winter. While it may be one of the best colleges in the country it has a terrible location.