Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Juliet of the Spirits


One of the most fabulous movies ever made, Federico Fellini's Giulietta Degli Spiriti is some sort of crazy masterpiece, and one of my very favorites. It is nothing less than an explosion of cinematic fabulosity, all glamour and insanity. Laden with over-ripe symbolism and incredible hats, Juliet of the Spirits deals with archetypal imagery and the feminine psyche. This was Fellini's first full-length venture into color film, and legend has it that he took his one and only hit of acid shortly before filming began. The result can be described as nothing short of...Fellini-esque!

The above images are only a tiny sample from a film that overflows with extravagant visuals. The sets and costumes are to die for! What plot there is to speak of is minimal, and there aren't many actual characters, yet it's easy to be seduced by this trip into another realm---one that could only exist on film. So invite some friends over, mix up some sangria, and enjoy the ride!

(Thanks to Nathaniel for letting me share some wacky pictures, and my wacky opinions as well. And thanks to you all for humoring me!)



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Juliet, for the images. My favorite sequence is the bizarre scene where as a little girl, she is "burned" as a heretic in a Catholic school play.

Great pics.

Thombeau said...

That scene is completely bizarre, yet so beautifully filmed!

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

This was awesome.
Do "Satyricon" now!

Thombeau said...

Heh heh. "Satyricon" is my other Fellini favorite!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Satyricon would have made a great deal more sense to me if I'd taken a hit or two of acid beforehand. Or smoked...something, anything.

RedSatinDoll

NATHANIEL R said...

what redsatindoll said

Thombeau said...

You kids are right, of course! That's half the fun!

Watching "Satyricon" is like watching somebody else's dream; little context or explanation is given---one is simply left in a sea of surreal imagery to do with what one may. It really is a glimpse into another world...again, one that could really only exist on film.

Of course that doesn't mean one has to like it! But I do.

Herb Levy said...

It doesn't make sense to call any of Fellini's movies "Fellini-esque", the term, after all means "like Fellini". For that term to have any meaning it should only be used to refer to films that attempt to be like Fellini's, whether or not they are successful.

Okay, maybe you could describe "The Voice of the Moon", a real pastiche of effects that I don't think holds together well, as Fellini-esque, but Juliet of the Spirits isn't like Fellini, it simply is Fellini at his best.

Thombeau said...

Herb, I was just being silly when I used the word "Fellini-esque". That's why the word is preceded by an ellipsis; it's my feeble attempt at irony. Maybe I should have added quotation marks, and then followed it with a footnote stating what you so succinctly did. I think most people got the point!

At any rate, it's a great film, as you know. Now lighten up!

Anonymous said...

//I think most people got the point!//

Yes, as a matter of fact, I did. No worries.

RedSatinDoll