Friday, March 28, 2008

Run New Release, Run

L I M I T E D
Backseat -an indie that describes itself as a "coming of age late" story. Co-starring Donald Sutherland as himself. How about that?
Chapter 27 -This is that bio of John Lennon's assassin that Jared Leto added tons of lbs for. Co-starring Lindsay Lohan and Judah Friedlander.
Shotgun Stories -Michael Shannon (Bug, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead) adds another lowlife drama to his filmography in this indie about a violent rivalry in the South.
Flawless -Demi Moore and Michael Caine headline this thriller about a janitor and an executive who scheme to lift jewels. Speaking of flawless, this is Demi Moore out on the town in NYC the other day...


Dayum!

F O R E I G N / D O C U M E N T A R Y
My Brother is an Only Child -a comic crime film from Italy which played at Cannes last year
Priceless -America's favorite young French actress (well, until February 2008 at least) Audrey Tatou returns as a schemer who mistakes a young bartender for a millionaire in this romantic comedy
The Cool School -Jeff Bridges narrates this history of the LA artworld of the late 40s.
Hats Off -a contemporary documentary about a 92 year old actress in NYC
Under the Same Moon -It opened last week but it's expanding quite a bit now. You'll see a review this week.

Would you have a beer with Phillipe?

W I D E

21 -Kevin Spacey trains college kids (including frequent Spacey co-star Kate Bosworth) to count cards in Vegas in this high spirited drama.
Run Fat Boy, Run -Simon Pegg (Hot Fuzz) is out to win the heart of Thandie Newton. He has to run a marathon to do it.
Stop-Loss -Kimberly Peirce (Boys Don't Cry) directs this buzzy drama about soldiers who are home from Iraq for far less time than they imagined. Starring Ryan Phillipe, Channing Tatum, Joseph Gordon Levitt (also starring in MNPP's "do, dump or marry?" series don'cha know --great fun). Co-starring Abbie Cornish and Victor Rasuk.
Superhero Movie -Another spoof film. I guess they're cheap to churn out. Although... really now. Won't this genre soon be self-parody with how many movies its producing each year?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked Stop-Loss, even though it tends to reduce the military characters into irretrievable basket-cases. It reminded me of a St. Elmo's Fire version of a war film, except without the elastic girdle (THANK GOD!).

www.therecshow.com

Anonymous said...

Please don't give Hollywood any ideas re: spoof mivies. I can totally see them making Not Another Spoof Movie now. If they do, I blame you...

RJ said...

I saw Priceless on a Qantas flight to Australia in September. It's not particularly good or anything. I mean, the only reason to see it would be for Audrey Tatuou. If it had been in English and starred Kate Hudson, I never would have even bothered with it.

Anonymous said...

Oh forget about the films

it's all about that question :

Ryan or Channing ?

I think both.

Peter Nellhaus said...

I saw The Cool School at the Denver International Film Festival last November. It's worth watching not only for the story of the artists, but also in revealing what a small town L.A. has been.

Thombeau said...

Honey, I would have more than a beer with Ryan Phillipe!

Anonymous said...

I thought "Stop-Loss" was great. Too bad the critics meh-ed all over it.