Monday, March 31, 2008

Naked Gold Man & Early Bird Oscar Preview

Until we get closer to Oscar season (round about November) the Naked Gold Man column will be coming at you weekly on Sundays --starting on April 6th or 13th --to give you your golden fix. I know a lot of TFE readers would inject gold plating into their veins or snort red carpet debris if they could. For those of you who don't live for movie awards, I salute you for supporting The Film Experience anyway. We'll try to keep it corralled into Sundays until the season so hopefully there'll be enough movie loving of all other varieties to keep you here year round.

Until that time, enjoy the first round of my annual madness. Read The Early Bird Oscar Preview: a look at what hands the major studio players are holding and also a vague current release calendar (that will shift a million times before the year is through). I wrote this in a mad rush so please pardon any sloppiness --and correct me should you see errors: I can take it! Tomorrow, I'll start posting my annual year in advance Oscar Predictions. I'm proud to say that last year I had my best ever 'year-in-advance' success managing to predict 2 (several) 3 (in best picture and actress) and even 4 of the eventual nominees (in art direction) in certain categories.

Your comments, as always, are welcome.
*

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

No mention for The Soloist?

Anonymous said...

"For those of you who don't live for movie awards..."

wait, those people exist? where are they?

NATHANIEL R said...

Shhhh Walter please don't scare them away. They're another breed altogether. very skittish.

Anonymous said...

ooh jeanne tripplehorn as jackie o,biopic,famous role,comeback of sorts!!! what do u think nat.

Glenn Dunks said...

Well done, Nat. You're a more patient man than I it seems.

Anonymous said...

there are lots of us who don't live for movie awards... that's not to say our blood pressure doesn't skyrocket during red carpet season! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Nat, be happy to live ONLY for movie awards, because I happen to live also for literary awards, Wimbledon, and Theater awards.

Yes, it's true, I don't have a life, but who cares lol

Anonymous said...

Oh I eat and breathe awards shows too, especially the Oscars and the Emmys. I'm not 'shamed.

Pat Gratton said...

I Have two questions for you Nathaniel. 1) Where's State of Play, i know imdb has it placed as a 2009, did the film get pushed back? 2) Is 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days elilible considering that it didnt get nominated last year for Best Foreign Film? Is it a possible City of God contender? Or was it eligible last year?

NATHANIEL R said...

state of play

good question. filming right now but i'm reading conflicting things about 2008 vs. 2009.

4 months is NOT eligible this year for anything because it did in fact get an oscar qualifying run last year in LA so it was eligible in all oscar categories last year. sorry. bummer, right?

Anonymous said...

It's nothing big but I've just spotted a mistake. In the supporting actor category you listed Downey as been never nominated, which is false.

Anonymous said...

Omg, Alex Cypher... I AM you!