Saturday, March 22, 2008

Saul Bass









Iconic and influential graphics by the great Saul Bass, designer of some of the most striking title sequences in modern cinema. His work can be seen in films by Hitchcock, Preminger, Kubrick and Scorcese (including the previously posted The Age of Innocence!)

"My initial thoughts about what a title can do was to set the mood and the prime underlying core of the film's story, to express the story in some metaphorical way. I saw the title as a way of conditioning the audience, so that when the film actually began, viewers would already have an emotional resonance with it."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He seemed also to have an affinity for red?

Very intriguing post -- I should pay more attention to title sequences.

Kurtis O said...

I love Bass' work. His title sequences are fantastic, but his posters are great as well. There is not enough similar film art these days. Everything is so in-your-face. I recently discussed how one of my biggest peeves is how movie art is dumbed down for the sake of commercial appeal. Bass' stuff is proof that less is more. Great post. :)

Anonymous said...

Anyone notice how there are pretty much NO titles to movies anymore? Most of the time they don't even bother with credits until the end of the movie. Just rush us right into the action. (I was two minutes late walking into the theater for A Very Long Engagement and it took me another five minutes to catch up.)

I miss well-designed, thoughtful opening titles - if for no other reason than it gave me time to settle in my seat! They charge ten bucks a ticket, and for the price there's no real butter on the popcorn, no cartoon, no shorts or newsreals - and now, no opening titles? What other corners are left to cut? Plot, character development (oh wait, we're already there...)

What other title sequence designers do folks out there admire and love? (I don't know who designed the antique-look opening titles of Moulin Rouge, but that opening makes me giddy each time the curtain starts to open.)

RedSatinDoll