Thursday, March 13, 2008

Punch-Drunk Link

Bright Lights Film Cotillard vs. Tatou, who will win the French gamine sweepstakes?
Kenneth in the (212) takes the words right out of my mouth in regards to Madonna's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
YTMD Can Luke Skywalker get anything right? Hee
Dave Kehr wishes the new DVD set Forbidden Hollywood didn't have so much Norma Shearer. Nathaniel's Shearer lovin' response: grrrr
I Watch Stuff has seen the Meet Bill poster somewhere before
Fabulon Why is Thombeau always showing me things I want that I can't have? Check out these movie dolls
Reverse Shot doesn't want to play Haneke's Funny Games anymore
Victim of the Time Appreciation of The Lovely Laura Linney reveals the terrible truth about IMDB. Nobody who spends non-research time there knows anything about movies (except for possibly superhero and other genre movies)

And check out this cool tribute to Paul Thomas Anderson films... (thanks, Rob) It's beautifully put together, imaginatively so, even if there's not quite enough of the incredibly sad female characters that man has created in favor of those equally well-written lonely men


Greedy Bastards!
Coming Soon it's official that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will be two films. This is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard in the history of franchise greed. The middle act in the book could be summed up in about 2 minutes of screen time. Zzzz. It's such a weirdly paced and padded novel -lots of dead space in the middle, too much crammed in at the end. Why add extra padding for the movies. Just work on the pacing. Oh, right. Money. That's all it's about. Not the desire to make the finale the best film it could be.

13 comments:

Dame James said...

I doesn't help that for the Forbidden Hollywood set they picked two of Shearer's lesser performances. The Divorcee is decent as far as these types of films go, but A Free Soul is a mess and Shearer is all over the place. I do love me some Norma, but her best performances came later on in her career (Barretts of Wimpole Street, Marie Antoinette, The Women).

Sam said...

Dave Kehr can kiss my behind. I thought Norma Shearer was terrific in The Divorcee and her early stuff was her best.

NATHANIEL R said...

i love the Divorcee but i admit that i have not see a free soul

Anonymous said...

I was with you on the lack of need to split "Deathly Hallows" until I read the book a second time. (Possible Spoilers ahead if you have not read this book.) For some reason, the portion of the book taking place in the tent/on the run does move with mind-numbing slowness on first reading but, once aware of it and looking for exactly what you suggest, I could not see anything that could be cut without significantly altering the narrative thread during the second reading. The pacing also seems to improve the second time around. So I ask: have you read it a second time yet? Or is it just me being too in love with the books?

Go ahead and give it to me straight, folks. I can take it. (whimper)

NATHANIEL R said...

i do not like the books enough to read them twice ;)

that said... the tent scenes would be EXCRUCIATING as a movie.

i mean come on. they just sit around and mope for hundreds of pages.

NATHANIEL R said...

and mope with indecision and inaction at that...

very cinematic!

Robert said...

"and mope with indecision and inaction at that..."

Damn. Too bad Antonioni isn't still with us. He could have made it work!

NATHANIEL R said...

omg. Michelangelo Antonioni's Harry Potter and the Deathy Hallows: Deux!

Anonymous said...

I think the Harry Potter idea is brilliant. If they break at Malfoy Manor, you get a climax with a full cast and a great starting place for the second part.

Would you really want Yates to rush through so much in a single film? Think about how amazing Maggie Smith gets to be in the second act. *orgasm*

Anonymous said...

That PTA tribute was so brilliant.

I had reservations against clicking on it, largely because of my bizarre cinephile principles (example: I have forbidden myself to listen to Aimee Mann's cover of "One", because I never want to wear out the magic of the Magnolia opening scenes. That's how much I love PTA) - but I'm so glad I did. Beautiful, inspired stuff.

Joe Reid said...

hayden's comment is why I don't think it's such a bad idea -- I really love the films but I'm always disappointed at how many awesome actors get, like, two scenes. Maggie smith, Julie Walters, David Thewlis, among others, will really get their chance to shine in a 2-parter, I think. If the last two aren't going to be anything than a giant indulgence for the fans of the books...I can live with that.

Anonymous said...

And best of all, Helena gets some showy scenes in both acts.

BTW--has anyone heard if Julie Christie will be appearing in the Half-Blood Prince? Rosmerta is a really pivotal character at the end, and it'd be a shame if they recast her.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't realized Cotillard was the "other woman" in A Very Long Engagement (which I enjoyed greatly btw) so thanks for the link, Nat!

RedSatinDoll