Thursday, March 20, 2008

You Have Spoken!


JA from MNPP here again. They took the lead right from the beginning and never let go. They left each other a little scraped, battered, bruised, but in the end they both win, because they are all winners, except when they are losers, and then we don't ever speak of them again. Until we do.

Your choices to swallow up four hours and fifteen minutes of my weekend?


Singin' In The Rain & West Side Story

I'm not especially surprised; I think the deck was somewhat stacked in their favor. They're only two of the most beloved movies - not just musicals - of all time. How I made it through film school without having seen them is a discredit to each and every one of my professors!

So here's how the schedule for this will work: As long as Netflix doesn't go haywire today (it does that sometimes), I ought to be receiving these movies tomorrow. I'll then watch them over the weekend, and write up my thoughts on Monday and Tuesday.

That is... if I make it. If y'all did right by me! Just know, fine sirs and madams, that I have a hurricane in me! Sorry, I can't seem to stop saying that line. Anyway, I am sure each and every one of you had my best interests at heart, and voted accordingly, and my television will make it through the entire weekend sans foot-through-it.

And because this post has offered not much of real substance unto itself so far, did you know that today is both Holly Hunter's and William Hurt's birthdays? Holly's 50 and Bill's 58. It's Broadcast News Day!


Well, it would be Broadcast News Day if it weren't for that quitter Albert Brooks. He went and got himself born in July. Never a team player, that one. So I say forget him! It's Carl Reiner's birthday today; how ya like these apples, Albert:


Hmm. It's also Spike Lee's and model-turned-actress-turned-ghost Jane March's birthday ...


Seriously; whatever happened to Jane March? Color of Night didn't kill Bruce Willis' career...

Anyway, I obviously need to have some coffee or take some anti-psychotic medications now. And as for Broadcast News, everybody knows the real star of that movie was Joan Cusack anyway.

Y'all stay tuned for the Musical goodness to come, now; ya hear?
.

15 comments:

SusanP said...

Enjoy your weekend movie fest! I am definitely eager to hear your take on these two fabulous films.

Catherine said...

I'm looking forward to hearing your take on them! Maybe I'll join in and rewatch them both this weekend too, I can see my Singin' dvd from where I'm sitting and I know WSS is around here somewhere... I have such a crush on Donald O'Connor. *sigh*

Oh! I was thinking about musicals yesterday after reading your post, especially "All That Jazz", which I hadn't seen. I remembered my dad had downloaded it a while ago and so I went into his computer, found it and watched it at 2am. Oh. My. God. I've found a new obsession.

Plus, I really need to see Broadcast News.

Glenn Dunks said...

Catherine! All That Jazz! Best movie ever made! Yay!

A crazier birthday fact is that Goldie Hawn, Diane Keaton and Bette Midler all celebrated their 50th birthdays while filming The First Wives Club!

Catherine said...

I've watched the "Everything Old Is New Again" scene maybe 10 times this afternoon. Everything about it makes me smile and also tear up a little. I wish I'd found this film earlier, but oh well. When my sister comes home I'm going to force her to watch it, heh.

I seem to have a fetish for films beginning with the word "All".

Jason Adams said...

All That Jazz...
All About My Mother...
All About Eve...
er...
All of Them Witches... no...
What else?

Catherine said...

Those first three, plus "All The President's Men" and er... "ALice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" and "ALice". Yes, those two don't QUITE fit the bill, but whatever.

FDot said...

No, Color of Night did not kill Bruce's career, but Tarzan and the Lost City did kill Jane's.

RJ said...

She's 50! Holy shit.

NATHANIEL R said...

catherine, don't fib. We know you've just got your netflix queue arranged alphabetically. Let us know when you get to Being John Malkovich. Cant' wait to hear your thoughts!

E Dot said...

I know you loathe musicals, but you could watch all of them eventually. Film buffs suffer through for the art, right?

Jason Adams said...

That's what I'm going for here, e dot. I know I need to force my hand. But this way I make a game of it! Fun to be had for all, yay! ;-)

Thombeau said...

Singin' in the Rain will CRACK YOU UP! It's hysterical!

gabrieloak said...

So glad you are watching Singin' in the Rain, probably one of the best musicals films ever made. And it was written for the screen, not based on some silly Broadway show. It has everything--great songs, fantastic dancing, lots of laughs, and a happy ending!

If you fall in love with Singin' in the Rain, you have to watch the other most enchanting musical film with umbrellas, Les Parapluies de Cherbourg.

Marshall said...

It did, however, killed Little Bruce's career.

Jason Adams said...

gabrieloak - I have seen, and LOVED, Umbrellas of Cherbourg. One of the, if not THE, most beautiful films ever made.