Sunday, March 02, 2008

Sisters

"Sisters, sisters
There were never such devoted sisters,
Never had to have a chaperone, no sir,
I'm there to keep my eye on her

Caring, sharing
Every little thing that we are wearing
When a certain gentleman arrived from Rome
She wore the dress, and I stayed home

All kinds of weather, we stick together
The same in the rain and sun
Two different faces, but in tight places
We think and we act as one

Those who've seen us
Know that not a thing could come between us
Many men have tried to split us up, but no one can
Lord help the mister who comes between me and my sister
And lord help the sister, who comes between me and my man"

-Irving Berlin


8 comments:

Catherine said...

Is this post because of that Other Boelyn girl film? Because if so, ew. But I do love that picture from "Hannah and her Sisters", which I just watched for the fourth time on Friday. Every time I watch it, I feel more sympathic to one of the characters, but it changes on each subsequent viewing. Lovely. I'm really close to my sis and I think that film is probably the closest portrayal of sisterly relations that I can think of...

Anonymous said...

"hey, check out those big brown eyes," says Danny Kaye. "No they're blue," relpies, Bing. "No those are brown," counters Danny. 'No, they're blue," gazes Bing longingly. OMG - hate to share this, but WC is one of my favorite movies. I know it's horrible, but I can't help it. I still love it. It brought holiday joy to one young kid pretending he wasn't surrounded by alcholism and verbal assaults...

Anonymous said...

btw - why no pics of judy & betty? the boney vera ellen & george clooney's zoftig aunt rosemary???....they're the ones who sang the damn song???

Dame James said...

Damn, I love the obscure Broadway Melody of 1929 reference. Bessie Love certainly was good in that film for it being that early in the sound era.

NATHANIEL R said...

jimmy i love white christmas too. can't be helped.

there's no picture because i was aiming for sisters who were after the same man! ;)

Anonymous said...

I love the way Emma Thompson has great screen chemistry with her sisters in Howards End and Sense and Sensibility. She's the Laura Linney of sister-sister relationships.

- cal roth

John T said...

My mom and aunt used to perform this song every Christmas. This is a treat in March!

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love this musical have been watching each since I was 12...I have a sister too...maybe not like the song but , I can relate to those lyrics.