Friday, August 22, 2008

Australians Make Me Happy


It's true! Whether it's a childhood icon, a blog buddy, an obsession-worthy actress, the best actor of a generation, an underrated frequent MVP, or a hunky leading man... those Aussies just put a huge smile on my face!

In related news: I'm totally starting to worry that I'll love Baz Luhrmann's Australia no matter what. I'll be like all those fanboys who had built themselves up for The Dark Knight so much that no matter what the actual movie had turned out to be like... good / bad / great / terrific / disastrous / mixed / whatever, the reaction would be ecstatic. Because of my Bazmania based fears, I have stopped watching making-of coverage of this movie. I just had to. I want some of its moving images to surprise me. I feel like I've seen too much already. Only 3 months until the real thing arrives!

12 comments:

The Jaded Armchair Reviewer said...

Yet no love for people who have played Australians on-screen? I take it you still haven't gotten around to a lot of your readers' Deborah Kerr suggestions such as The Sundowners yet.

(But in all honesty Nathaniel, I've been looking for any reason to remind you about how your intentions of perusing the Kerr Catalogue.)

Billy D said...

Fanboydom is something I never worry about with you Nat. No matter how lush, gorgeous, well-scored, inventive, and breathtaking the film is, I'm sure you'll remain objective and critically aloof.

Although, if it's anything like Moulin Rouge, you'll need a first screening, a control if you will, in order to deal with the overwhelmingness of it all. Then on to the impartiality.

Anonymous said...

Nathaniel, are you sure ALL austrailians make you happy? I seem to think that there is one who does not.

NATHANIEL R said...

shhhhhhhh (there are exceptions to every rule)

Anonymous said...

And La Cate trumps them ALL! Muahahaha.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for Australia to open either. Nicole Kidman looks so much better in this film tanned and relaxed. Maybe it's because she stars alongside super charming and gorgeous Hugh Jackman.
Baz Luhrmanns work is great, he has an eye for detail.
(...I also love Australians..)

Anonymous said...

Please Gawd

Make Australia a hit. I want it to be a hit.

I want Nicole to be great in it.

Anonymous said...

A few reasons about why I love Australia:

-Beaches and woods
-Great Barrier Reef
-Cate Blanchett
-Heath Ledger
-Toni Collette
-Eric Bana
-Melbourne (Beautiful City)
-Men's Swimming and Diving Olympic team...

Anonymous said...

Hey Nathaniel, how do you think it will do against the new Bond film since they just moved that movie to the same opening date as Australia?

Glenn Dunks said...

aww, thanks Nat!

But we're totally the best country on earth.

Anonymous said...

Well. We are pretty friggin awesome.

I swear. It HAS to be good. Imagine if people go around saying "Australia sucks".

Anonymous said...

I too have stopped watching the podcasts. They are so damn interesting it worries me that the movie won't live up to the standard. But I know that I will love this movie regardless of how it actuallly turns out and I will defend it from any criticism to my dying day. See I don't have to be impartial...