Friday, August 22, 2008

Summer's Winding Down


Jonathan here and a little nervous. Nathaniel decreed all posts must get comments in the double digits and my posts run hot and cold. Sometimes double digits, sometimes a lone pity comment from Nathaniel (thank you for your pity, kind sir). So I uncovered this old poster from a movie Nathaniel did years ago with Maureen O'Hara in the hopes I'm not the only one who's seen it (and thought Nathaniel was wonderful in it --- Today is "Suck-Up to the Host Day," right?). Fabian wasn't bad either but Nat totally stole the show.


So is Nat's adventure the best summer movie ever? Nah. Summertime? Maybe. Endless Summer? If you're into surfing. A Summer Place? If you like the music. Summer of 42? It's a contender. Dirty Dancing? Wait a minute, I think we've got it. There's no "summer" in the title but I'm told that nobody puts baby in a corner so I think we have a winner. Surely you don't disagree.

17 comments:

Beau said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greg said...

Nat's version came out just before Jimmy's and Jimmy said he based his performance on Nat's. Quite a compliment.

NATHANIEL R said...

to Jonathan --the double digit comments decree is directed and lurkers not at guest bloggers who suck up!

to all ---Maureen O'Hara is even hotter and randier offscreen. And you know what a hot mamma she was on (Parent Trap... Miracle on 34th screen, etcetera...)

Greg said...

--the double digit comments decree is directed and lurkers not at guest bloggers who suck up!

Whew! Dodged a bullet.

Maureen O'Hara is even hotter and randier offscreen.

I can hardly wait till you publish your Tell-All.

NATHANIEL R said...

"miracle on 34th screen"

um...

i guess i need more sleep.

NATHANIEL R said...

wait. why did Beau delete his comment? Things are so mysterious lately here.

Greg said...

I don't know but between you and me I think I'm going to reach the double digits. Hooray!

Greg said...

Or maybe not.

Anonymous said...

Just one more post to go...

Anonymous said...

This probably counts as cheating, but when in China...

Greg said...

Thanks Anon! Me, Nat, Anon and a deleted comment by Beau to get me to ten. Wow, I'm pathetic!

NATHANIEL R said...

maybe people don't know how awesome Maureen O'Hara is?

Anonymous said...

Oooh! I'lll contribute to the comments and support the awesomeness of Maureen O'Hara. She's still alive!

But for real, the Parent Trap was one of my favorite movies growing up. And who doesn't love her with John Wayne???

Now I love, love, love Deborah Kerr in the King and I, but.... seeing as how Miss Maureen was one of the top contenders for the job (plus she could sing... no offense, Deb!), I sometimes wonder/wish I could have seen her in the part.

Unknown said...

"nobody puts baby in a corner!" the use of this quote means instant glory!

Roberta Lipp said...

I'm not saying it's the greatest film, and maybe it's because I was the exact right age, but Grease made quite a summer splash.

Anonymous said...

I think A Summer Place is actually quite a good film. I am an admitted fan of Delmer Daves, but additionally Sandra Dee gives her best performance.

That said, my favorite summer movie is Pauline at the Beach.

p.s. Tell Nathaniel R to check my post for Monday.

Beau said...

It said I entered the same comment twice, so I deleted one but now there's none!?!?!?

GRR...