Thursday, August 21, 2008

Manimals!!


Hey yo. It's Whitney from Dear Jesus

This week my boy toy is out of town, and with him: our mail key. Bummer, because I have a stack of really great NetFlix choices waiting for me. And since I'm terribly cheap and poor with big library fines, I had to get creative. Inadvertently I created one of the best double features ever:

The Wasp Woman (Roger Corman, 1959) and Planet of the Apes (Franklin J. Schaffner, 1968). 

Both films are concerned with the limits of science. Both films have great sound tracks. And both films feature man-animals.

The Wasp Woman was on a disk of "horror classics" I picked up for a couple dollars. I got it so I could watch Dementia 13, Coppola's first movie, but turns out his mentor's Wasp Woman is just as fun. Here's the plot: woman running a cosmetic company wants to look younger, enter scientist who has discovered that an enzyme from queen wasps can do that for her, woman turns into wasp-woman. This has everything you could want from a B movie and it's short, mean, and to the point.

Planet of the Apes may linger a little longer than us 80s babies may like, but it also features a lot more bare bums than I expected. And don't forget quotable lines that are sure to impress girls at the hippest parties.

So that was my Wednesday night. What are your favorite manimal movies? (I'm partial to that one episode of X-files with the Fluke-man, myself.)

5 comments:

Crazy on Bollywood said...

Nice blog.Pls post some action flicks.

elgringo said...

Huh?

elgringo said...

Anyway, my favorite manimal movie is Million Dollar Baby. The way they got that horse to dance around that ring was simply amazing. Haven't seen animal boxing like that since the 70s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_FVD0BR2Mc

NATHANIEL R said...

omg. so mean ;)

i personally love anything to do with people turning into cats or bats but strangely i feel absolutely nothing for the people who turn into wolves (with the notable exception of Rutger Hauer in Ladyhawke but that's probably just because Michelle Pfeiffer was in love with him)

WickedScorp said...

Probably one of my most memorable X-FILES eps. I was watching it in an apartment in Paris and the TV cut out during the scene at the sewage treatment plant which was building up to a moment... =(