Tuesday, August 26, 2008

New on DVD - Facists and Nazis and Claymation Skeletons....Oh My!

C L A S S I C S

The Nightmare Before Christmas (2-Disc Collector's Edition) More than 15 years later, the Christmas hijacking exploits of Jack Skellington still delight and Tim Burton still gets more credit than Henry Selick. I say buy a copy then head down to your local Hot Topic and taunt people.

Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom I've seen this movie twice and before you call me a horrible human being, there's really something intriguing about how Pasolini converts the Marquis de Sade story into an indictment of Fascist life beyond morals, rules and human decency. That and rape, murder, and torture to an extent beyond imagination. Okay now call me a horrible human being.

The Errol Flynn Westerns Collection A box set featuring our favorite man in tights, taming the west, lovin' the ladies (and the ladies lovin' him back) but not stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. Montana, Rocky Mountain, San Antonio and Virginia City are the very geographical movies included.

Cimarron What can I say here that hasn't already been covered by Nathaniel and the boys in their Best Pictures from the Outside In segment. Though it may not make you run out and buy the DVD

N E W R E L E A S E S

Redbelt This David Mamet movie snuck into theatres. No one saw it then but with Mamet and Chewetel Ejiofor, who wouldn't want to see it now?

Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden? Morgan Spurlock's doc about his quest for Bin Laden was a bit of a critical let-down. No word on whether or not he quit looking after 30 days.

The Rape of Europa This well-received documentary explores the Nazi's plundering of Europe's art and treasures (part of their goal of being evil in every way imaginable) and attempts by art lovers, historians and curators to fight back.

7 comments:

RJ said...

David Mamet

Robert said...

whoopsie. thanks for the correction.

Sayles had an entirely different overlooked movie this year... silly me.

NATHANIEL R said...

no problem i fixed.

anywho... SO agreed that it's a shame that Henry Selick doesn't get any credit for NIGHTMARE.

and this post revealed to me that I know almost nothing about Erroll Flynn beyond the adventures of robin hood and the delicious fact that Jude Law got a cameo as him in The Aviator.

if any TFE readers dare to rent CIMARRON now that it's available. I expect a full report!

Anonymous said...

Actually, Nightmare Before Christmas is only celebrating its 15th anniversary.

When you said, "20 years later" my heart stopped a little bit. I thought, "But I remember seeing that movie in the theater! Surely I'm not that old..."

Thank goodness I'm not. Whew.

Anonymous said...

Not to harp on factual errors, but the 'Cimarron' arriving on DVD today is not the 1930s best picture winner but Anthony Mann's 1960 re-make with Glenn Ford.

Marshall said...

REDBELT came out over the summer, which is why it disappeared. I think it may have had a shot in the fall.

Robert said...

wow.... well this is by far the most rife with error post of my blogging days.

(hangs head in shame and saunters over to the corner)