Saturday, March 06, 2010

Random Saturday Evening Thoughts

I've been cleaning the apartment, making party favors, half watching Oscar specials on TV and shopping to prep for the party. No time for writing (sorry!) and anyway I'm running on fumes for this year's big night. Herewith a few random thoughts...
  • Watching Quentin Tarantino spazz out over love of cinema this and that on Charlie Rose's Oscar special. The Boyfriend says "If Tarantino didn't exist Joss Whedon would have invented him." Ha ha. So random. And, yet, so true. He is like an evil genius pop culture geek.
  • Oprah special. Penélope Cruz's favorite movie is . Who knew? I don't think Halle Berry has seen it. She made one of those non-committal mmmm noises when Pe mentioned it. And then they talked about how amazing Glenn Close was in Fatal Attraction, Halle's favorite movie. Which... yes. Glenn Close is on this same special talking about just that. This is the second time I've had the special on in the background and I just hate watching Glenn's face while Michael Douglas is talking about his two Oscar wins. (sigh) The world is stone.
  • Was burning a mix CD of this year's movie tunes. Turns out Precious and Fantastic Mr. Fox make for awesome interstitials and The Best Original Song category is slightly more hideous than I had allowed myself to see... hear. My ears!
  • I believe this is the first time I haven't completed my own awardage before Oscar night which is terribly frustrating but sigh the scrapbooking of each cinematic year is a circuitous journey. It gets there when it gets there.
  • Legally Blonde is playing in the background and it's still such an adorable cartoon. I want to love Reese Witherspoon in something again real soon.
  • Maybe Michelle Pfeiffer is going to be presenting at the Oscars after all? This interview with one of the show writers implies as much.
How are you spending Oscar Eve?

18 comments:

Middle-P said...

maybe susie diamond intro's jack baker?

Newland Archer said...

If that really happens, it will be damn cool!

Andrea said...

i glared at the man standing next to michelle pfeiffer with great dislike, trying to remember who he was/why he looked like a douchbag. then i realized it was Adam Shankman.

Cinesnatch said...

haha I had it playing in the background twice also. And I had the same reaction to Halle & Pe's interview. Halle's "Fatal Attraction" answer was suspect considering the Close/Douglas interview that would follow. But, it seemed like it could be true also.

Anonymous said...

obviously they're using the friends thing...

ZiZo said...

It's gonna be only my and my boyfriend, with lots and lots of food.

The Truth said...

Penelope is not saying the truth when she says her favourite film is "8 1/2", it's well known that her favourite movie is Almodóvar's "Tie me up Tie me down!", which was the reason why she decided to became an actress.

Terry said...

Random Sunday morning thought: Sandra Bullock won the Razzie... is she going to be the best and the worst of the year a the end of this looong day?

Iggy said...

Penelope is not saying the truth when she says her favourite film is "8 1/2", it's well known that her favourite movie is Almodóvar's "Tie me up Tie me down!"

It may sound crazy, but it's also entirely possible that she has seen more movies (8 1/2 for instance because she was in Nine)and has changed her mind. Those things happen.

If Pfeiffer introduces Jeff Bridges, please upload a clip (I won't be able to stay up tonight).

Deborah said...

The Joss Whedon remark may be the smartest thing your bf ever said. No wonder you love him.

Deborah said...

I'm just gonna say that over & over.

adelutza said...

Maybe I'm mistaken but doesn't it say in the interview that "I was hoping to get Michelle Pfeiffer but didn’t get her"?So I guess she'll not be there ... but hey, would've been nice.

Anonymous said...

give Michelle Pfeiffer a comeback role!!!!!!!!

Lala said...

@ adelutza: I thought that as well. However, the quote can also be interpreted as the writer wanting to write something for Pfeiffer, but got assigned to someone else... Which could mean that la Pfeiffer will be there ^^.

Anonymous said...

I really miss Pfeiffer. where is she???????????

Marshall1 said...

There is no god....lol....
when Penelope and Halle have an Oscar (I'm not saying they are not deserving), and Glenn Close has ZERO Oscar.....*sigh*....when is her "it's time" Oscar??
Do you guys find MIchael Douglas was uncomfortable throughout the whole interview? Close was radiant and smiling but Douglas was fidgety. The Halle-Cruz segment was boring, too much Avatar ass-kissing (I talked to my niece and she said she'd need a minute after watching Avatar.....*puke*), Affleck-Renner were good to look at.....the last segment with Close was surprisingly boring, just telling us the plot to Fatal ATtraction.

Michael B. said...

I have a feeling the Pfeiffer might be there. And if you look at the Presenter list, none of the people who are presenting in the lead categories (like Tucci or Moore) are on that list.

Ian Eisenberg said...

Hi, thank you very much. good job.