Sunday, March 07, 2010

Playing Those Oscar Party Games

Drinking games are too easy. People don't need any encouragement to imbibe during awards shows; liquour vanishes without assistance. So we play more complicated games at the Oscar party. One of the biggest hits each year chez moi is a game involving the characters from the year's movies. Brave volunteers draw character names from a hat and during the lengthy commercial breaks, they have 90 seconds to reenact a famous moment.


This year, I'm going to experiment and tweak this game to try to keep things fresh. If the experiment succeeds, I'll share the story here. If it doesn't... this is the last you'll hear of it!

I'd love to collect "best moment" stories from your Oscar parties tonight. Or even photos... like we did with those reader costumes for Halloween. So if you have something you just gotta share... |send it my way with "oscar party" in the subject line, and I'll share a few alternate festivities right here next week.
*

4 comments:

Ryan Ray said...

Kinda like how they do in Inglourious Basterds? I think that would be fun, act out characters or people nominated.

Dominik said...

I don't play any oscar game with anyone... I'm on my own... it's 11:59 pm now here in Germany... I'm happy if I manage to stay awake... by now, I'm cool with almost everything that could happen tonight... I won't even freak out if Sandra wins... I've lost my faith back in '99 when Gwyneth Paltrow wan... Sandra would not be worse than that... the only thing that will upset me is if Jim Cameron wins best director... that trophy belongs to Kathryn Bigelow, but I won't really mind if Daniels, Reitman or Tarantino takes it. Just not Cameron. Please! I've finally seen Avatar this Monday... while visually stunning, no argument... otherwise... it's just so f***ing stupid! I'd still be okay with best picture, though I don't agree, just because of its technical merits... just not best director, please not...

Wayne B said...

Thank you for the new game! I'm going to try it out tonight at my own Oscar gathering.

Catherine said...

Oh, man. I WISH I were at an Oscar party right now! It's past midnight here and I'm on my own, with one eye on a livestream while simultaneuously folding laundry and trying to finish rereading a book I have to talk about in a seminar tomorrow. I'm SO going to regret this in the morning.