The previous EFA record holders, according to Screen Daily, were Spain's Talk to Her (2002) and Germany's Goodbye Lenin (2003) both of which, we foreign film Oscar obsessed must note, notoriously missed out on Oscar's Foreign Film category in their years (albeit for different reasons).
The European Film Awards aren't an Oscar precursor in the traditional way of thinking about these things but could we see The Ghost Writer with a stray Oscar nod or three come January's end? And if so, which? (Adapted Screenplay? Score? Art Direction? *gulp* Pic or Director?) Discuss.
The Euro Winners
- Picture The Ghost Writer
- People's Choice Jaco van Dormael's Mr Nobody
- Co-Production Award Zeynep Özbatur Atakan
- Achievement in World Cinema Gabriel Yared (Juliette Binoche was the surprise presenter of this award to The English Patient composer)
- Lifetime Achievement Bruno Ganz
- Discovery Lebanon
- Director Roman Polanski, The Ghost Writer
- Actor Ewan McGregor, The Ghost Writer
- Actress Sylvie Testud, Lourdes
- Animated Feature Sylvain Chomet's The Illusionist
- Documentary Feature Patricio Guzmán's Nostalgia for the Light
- Screenwriter & Roman Polanski, The Ghost Writer
- Cinematography Giora Bejach, Lebanon
- Editor Luc Barnier & Marion Monnier, Carlos
- Composer Alexandre Desplat, The Ghost Writer
- Production Designer Albrecht Konrad, The Ghost Writer
|Who can The Ghost trust? No one.|
I shall update this post if I can find good photos since the evening held appearances from France's Binoche (love) and Denmark's Nikolaj Lie Kaas (also love) among other international film notables.
Related Articles EFA Nominations & "Best in Show: Olivia Williams"