Monday, February 13, 2006

Happy Birthday Rizzo

"There are worse things I could do, than go with a boy or two
Even though the neighborhood thinks I'm trashy and no good
I suppose it could be true. But there are worse things I could do
I could flirt with all the guys. Smile at them and bat my eyes
Press against them when we dance, make them think they stand a chance...
then refuse to see it through --That's a thing I'd never do.
I could stay home every night. Wait around for Mr. Right
Take cold showers everyday and throw my life away
On a dream that won't come true.
I could hurt someone like me, out of spite or jealousy
I don't steal, and I don't lie but I can feel, and I can cry
A fact I'll bet you never knew.
But to cry in front of you? That's the worse thing I could do"

7 comments:

Calum Reed said...

Happy Birthday Rizzo!

I always thought it odd that that's my favourite song from Grease, since there are many more fun. That just always struck me as the most honest though. A great character.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tribute, Nat. I totally *heart* Rizzo!

Cal, you are not alone there. Rizzo's solo is my fav from that movie, too. True, she's a badass of the highest order, but she also has a lovably goofy, vulnerable streak beneath that tough exterior. I couldn't believe it when I read that Stockard was in her mid-30s when she made that movie. :-o

Beyond just "Grease," she has given a number of great and, in some cases, iconic performances, most notably in "To Wong Foo. Thanks for everything, Julie Newmar" (just kidding) and "Six Degrees of Serparation," in which she was, naturally, ab fab. I'm so glad to see her enjoy such a long and varied career (film, TV, theatre). It could not have happened to a cooler, more talented gal.

Happy Birthday to you, Miss Channing!

Marco

P.S. Do we have any "Grease 2" fans up in here? I know it pales in comparison to the original, but cinematically it birthed Michelle Pfeiffer (yay!) and also offered up a true hottie in the form of Maxwell Caufield. Plus, the songs, if not great, were at least entertainingly campy IMO. Thoughts?

NATHANIEL R said...

grease 2 be a guilty pleasure of mine of course.

mainly because i can't live without Pfeiffer's tongue wagging "cool rider" performance with the jacket, the ladder, and those tightpants.

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who thinks it's a travesty that this woman only has one Oscar nomination?

NATHANIEL R said...

what else would you nominate her for? (out of curiousity)

Anonymous said...

How 'bout "The Business of Strangers" for one? She was definitely award-worthy in that.

Marco

Anonymous said...

Personaly, my favorite Stockard Channing role was in "The Big Bus" Anyone else remember this gem from the 70s? ;-)