Saturday, February 18, 2006

"Portraits of 26"

Tomorrow's New York Times Magazine has a great portfolio of "26 actors who made the films of 2005 so memorable."

11 Oscar Nominees Made It: Amy Adams, George Clooney (cover boy), Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Terrence Howard, William Hurt, Heath Ledger, Joaquin Phoenix, Charlize Theron, Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams, and Reese Witherspoon.

16 Snubees Made Their List: Ziyi Zhang (for 2046 not Memoirs, thank you very much), Birol & Sibel (Head On, who you'll see in my FB Awards too), Nathalie Press & Emily Blunt (My Summer of Love), Shirley Maclaine (In Her Shoes who gets a two page spread), Viggo Mortenson (A History of Violence), Vera Farmiga (Down to the Bone), Bill Murray (Broken Flowers), Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Mysterious Skin), Deep Roy (Charlie & The Chocolate Factory), Eric Bana (Munich), Penelope Cruz (Don't Move), Jeff Daniels (Squid and the Whale), and Daniel Day-Lewis (The Ballad of Jack & Rose).

14 comments:

John T said...

I love seeing Bill Murray there (he would have made my top five), but odd that there's no mention of David Straitharn or Ralph Fiennes.

Oh, and Deep Roy-interesting...

par3182 said...

that pic of michelle williams makes her look eight years old; i wonder if that's what they were going for?

russtifer said...

That Clooney picture scares me. Every year these are fun. I actually quite like the Michelle Williams photo.

Anonymous said...

Wow, so they snubbed Felicity Huffman? That's surprising. (Not that I thought her performance was any good.)

Dr. S said...

The body art here is interesting, not least because it's not consistent. And it took me awhile to see that what's strange about Clooney's pic is the contact lenses. Yikes.

I, too, like the Williams picture. I wonder whether hers and Heath L's are facing pages in the magazine?

Anonymous said...

I know you might think I'm obssesed but... WHERE IS MARIA BELLO?!!!

Glenn Dunks said...

Thanks for this link. Was fun.

My fave photos:
Ziyi Zhang
William Hurt
Viggo Mortensen
Heath Ledger
Joseph Gordon-Levitt (umm... hot)
My Summer of Love girls
Jeff Daniels

great fun.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the mention for Daniel Day-Lewis, whose performance in The Ballad of Jack and Rose was right up there with Heath and Terrence as the best in his category.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday night I watched 'Capote' (The film opened yesterday in Italy). It's not bad, but It's not good as I thought. Hoffman's performance is a little bit exaggerated. It sounds mannered. It sounds an Oscar performance like that of Pacino (Scent of a W.), or Rush (Shine) or Penn (Mystic River).
Afterall I love Philip S. Hoffman but his work was better in "Boogie Noghts", "Happines", "Magnolia",
"25th Hour". Isn't It?

Dario

John T said...

My favorite photos:

The glassy-eyed Clooney
The baby doll Williams
The wiry Joseph Gordon-Levitt
The bespeckled Reese Witherspoon (weird to see America's Sweetheart doing something so exotic)
The uber-glamorous Eric Bana

Great photos all around-thanks Nathaniel!

Anonymous said...

Love the photos!

George Clooney's eyes kind of remind me of Jack Nicholson's in "Wolf" (lol).

Amy Adams looks like a vampire who's getting ready to show her fangs.

Favorite one is Vera Farmiga's with her cool stare and the cascading water.

Where the hell is Joan Allen? 26 slots and even here she was snubbed (oy).

Marco

Anonymous said...

Breaking news: Jake Gyllenhaal just won the BAFTA.

Anyone still hating the British Academy?

Rob

Javier Aldabalde said...

Well they were still awfully predictable, sans Jake.

Anonymous said...

Thandie Newton also won... weird!