Saturday, February 11, 2006

Unserved Demographic

I moved into my gorgeous apartment almost a year ago. I still get mail for the previous tenant. Some times strange things show up. Magazines aren't strange in and of themselves but they usually require subscriptions sooooo it doesn't make sense to get a magazine addressed to the previous tenant that you've never gotten before, 10 months after they've left.

The magazine that arrived today was the AARP Magazine. So either the previous tenant was getting up there in the years or the universe is trying to tell me that I'm no longer 20? [Hey, I knew that already. Go away.]

Movie culture is definitely not serving the senior demographic, obsessed as Hollywood is with video game adaptations and horror movies with tortured teens at the forefront, but this is a movie-focused issue I guess. Goldie Hawn is on the cover "Sexy, Sixty, and Speaking Out." And there's an article "5th Annual Best Movies For Grownups" So I figure since these few weeks are all about the countdown to Oscar, and most Academy members are in the AARP age range, let's hear what they have to say.

Their choices:
Best Movies for Grownups: Capote
Best Actor 50 and Over: Jeff Daniels, The Squid and the Whale
Best Actress 50 and Over: Joan Plowright, Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont
Ooh, a hidden diss to Judi Dench? whaddya think?
Best Director 50 and Over: Steven Spielberg, Munich
Best Screenwriter 50 and Over: McMurtry & Ossana, Brokeback Mountain
Breakaway Accomplishment: David Strathairn, Good Night and Good Luck
I guess that's like "Breakthrough" but I'm always happy to see Strathairn recognized.
Best Documentary: Enron, the Smartest Guys in the Room
Best Intergenerational Movie: Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story
Best Comedy for Grownups: The Producers
Best Foreign Language Film: Ushpizin (Israel)
Best Grownup Love Story: The Family Stone (Craig T Nelson & Diane Keaton)
Best Movie Time Capsule: Cinderella Man
Best Movie For Grownups Who Refuse to Grow Up: King Kong
[complete article]

6 comments:

Calum Reed said...

Oh.My.God. Jeff Daniels is over 50? You're kidding me.

Calum Reed said...

I also despise of Cinderella Man winning anything, to be perfectly honest. I Want every copy destroyed.

Calum Reed said...

Weird choice for Keaton and Nelson. But does it take cancer to make a love story "grown up"? Hmm.. controversial. Surely Jake and Heath is the ultimate love story.

Glenn Dunks said...

I think they mean between characters that are 50 or over.

Loved seeing The Producers (of which I am an unashamed fan), Brokeback and Good Night, and Good Luck.

Anonymous said...

Having worked for Scudder, Stevens and Clark Investment Counsel when I was in my 20's, I automatically received a free membership to AARP as a Scudder employee since we provided their investment service. I enjoyed the magazine as it gave me a better insight into what my grandparents were like. I still remember being shocked when the issue arrived with Susan Sarandon on the cover; I simply think of her as ageless.

- Robbie K.

Anonymous said...

Ossana is over 50? She didn't look bad at the Globes.