Thursday, May 17, 2007

Those Summer Nights

With the summer movie season upon us I thought I'd share an old 'classic' from the website for the new readers. This is my illustrated memoirs of summer movie experience as a kid. There's four panels covering 1975 through 1982.

*blog challenge at the end of this post*

[click to enlarge by panel]

Introduction...


1975 -1978


1978-1980


1980-1982

I drew this in 2003. I had originally intended to continue with more installments taking me up to the present day but I never got around to it. Still and all... it's those years as a kid that inform movie love as an adult. When it comes to the summer blockbuster, they feel more vivid than the years that followed. Nowadays my best friends always want to go to the beach. I always want to sit in the air conditioning with a tub of popcorn staring at the screen. Hitting the beach beforehand: a pleasure but hardly a requirement.

tags: Olivia Newton-John, childhood memories, Grease, Jaws, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back

*

Subscribe with Bloglines

Add to Google


Blogging challenge! If you have a blog share a memory of summer moviegoing from you childhood over the next few days. Let me know you did and I'll link you up in a follow up post next Tuesday, the 22nd. Consider it a warm up nostalgia exercize for Eddie Copeland's 30th anniversary of Star Wars blog-a-thon --(that's on May 25th) you will not want to miss that one.

10 comments:

Beau said...

I did one. It's a tad bit corny, but hey, when is nostalgia not?
You can't romanticize something without pummeling it with euphoric terms and labels.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you deserve kudos for this great post. Will we ever see more of it? :)

J.D. said...

Wow, those panels are awesome.

StinkyLulu said...

Ditto.
Amazing...

Damian Arlyn said...

Here's a nostalgic summer movie memory I wrote about a while back that I think would work well for this.

BTW very nice artwork. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, a wonderful illustration with superb images on this blog. I hope more romantic in the coming weeks in this blog.

Glenn Dunks said...

I loved those drawings the first time and I still do. So good.

Marius said...

Nat, I've also decided to participate. Great challenge! I also love your drawings--very impressive.

SusanP said...

Excellent work, Nat.

Regarding Grease I pretty much BECAME ONJ after that film. It was the most influential film on my childhood (and I have the photo--of 8-year-old me in spandex--to prove it).

I also hated the Heartlight song, but I looooved E.T.

Time permitting, I'll post something more detailed on my Grease obsession.

Anonymous said...

SECRET OF NIMH ROCKS!