Tuesday, May 29, 2007

World Domination Through Blogging

I am all over the place! At least this week. Over at ModFab I'm being totally obnoxious gabbing about the theater for his famous Stage Addiction column-- I didn't know what the hell to talk about, am not privy to the insider dish like Gabriel is. I had to wing it.

Meanwhile at Zoom In Online I'm theorizing about how Once so regularly seizes audience hearts. I didn't mention this over there... and I'm hesitant to say it here because it's so reductive Hollywood pitchy, but the movie is really like Before Sunrise / Sunset for musicians. That's just a clumsy way of saying that you should see it. It's not articulate and gabby like those films: this couple, a Czech immigrant and an Irish repairman compose music instead of talking about anything & everything) but it has a similarly expressive way of burrowing into two souls really responding to each other. I can't get it out of my head. Have you seen it yet?

5 comments:

Lucas Dantas said...

lol blogging makes the world go round. i commented on the zoom in one.

Anonymous said...

I saw the preview for Once and I turned to my friend and said something along the lines of "Oh my god, that's exactly like Before Sunrise/Sunset!"

Marius said...

My goodness, you are all over the place. Sit down and relax for a sec.

lylee said...

Haven't seen it yet, really really want to, live in one of the few cities where it's playing, but am unfortunately swamped at work.

There was a nice piece in the L.A. Times today about it.

gabrieloak said...

One of my close friends said to me, "You love Umbrellas of Cherbourg, you'll love this." I wasn't sure quite what she meant, but she was right. I loved Once. When the Irish fellow sang his first song, I was a little wary but by the time the film ended (and this is one of those films that could have been longer) I was in love with his music and his harmonies with his Czech sweetie. There's no way these two wouldn't get together again, at least to be make a killer CD. But maybe a sequel would never work.