Monday, May 05, 2008

Happy Cinco De Mayo!


Bet'cha thought I was gonna post a pic of Gael García Bernal...

okay okay, you were right. I can't resist. But he has to share the holiday with other famed Mexican stars. I've only been to Mexico once (Los Cabos, for a little vacay) but after seeing Mexican movies hog the world cinema lineup at the IIFF I figured we'd celebrate.

clockwise from top left: amazingly prolific Marío Almada, Dolores Del Rio started om the silents and was the first Mexican movie star to enjoy international fame, one of the world's greatest actors Gael García Bernal (Bad Education, Amores Perros), Hollywood's current favorite Mexican Salma Hayek and heartthrob Diego Luna (Y Tu Mama Tambien, Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights. He'll be in Gus Van Sant's Milk later this year)

clockwise from top left: Two time Oscar winner Anthony Quinn (La Strada, Lust for Life, Zorba the Greek, Lawrence of Arabia), "The Three Amigos" brilliant Alfonso Cuarón (Children of Men, Y Tu Mama Tambien), miserabilism spokesperson Alejandro González Iñárritu (Babel, Amores Perros) and the fantastical Guillermo Del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, The Devil's Backbone), WrathfulRicardo Montalban, Mulholland Dr's Laura Harring who should work a whole lot more --come on Hollywood!-- and Oscar nominated Adriana Barraza (Babel).

10 comments:

Marco said...

And today is also my birthday!
Hooray for me! \o/

But I'm brazilian, not mexican...

NATHANIEL R said...

happy birthday Marco!

c.p. iñor said...

I´m Mexican... and proud of it... so I have to say THANK YOU Nathaniel!

P.S. Where is Silvia Pinal (Buñuel´s muse 1961-1965, and the greatest mexican actress ever)?

CLNY said...

¡¡Feliz 5 de Mayo!!

The greatest Mexican actress gotta be Maria Rojo :)

Marco said...

Thanks, Nath!
=)

Anonymous said...

La Strada broke my heart

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post, Nat.

In a fair world, Carlos Reygadas would replace Gonzalez Inarritu as one of the 3 amigos.



-Jason

aldo álvarez said...

Reygadas and Eimbcke are becoming Mexico's new big names especially among pickier audiences.

It feels great to see your country's cinema develop quickly, but there's a LOT to improve.

btw, Emmanuel Lubezki its a must of mexican filmmaking as well.

Lovely article, Nathaniel!

NATHANIEL R said...

Eimbcke i love (based solely on Duck Season since i haven't seen his second film yet)

Middento said...

What a great post! And you put Cantinflas at the top! Hooray!

I'll also mention María Félix, who some would argue was even bigger than Dolores (although I would disagree, cuz I love my girl Dolores, heh heh).