Wednesday, May 26, 2010

DVDs: Flying Turtles, Star Packages, Horny Vampires and Apocalyptic Survivors

It's DVD time. Here's a sampling of the new titles that came out in the past two weeks. And here's where you can boss me around and force me to write about one of them like you did with An Education, Bad Lieutenant Port of Call New Orleans, Doctor Zhivago (pending) and Fantastic Mr Fox. If you want everyone to vote your way, make your case in the comments.
  • Dear John
    In which Amanda Seyfried and Channing Tatum romance me ... er each other! I meant each other! You can't fault me for fantasizing, can you?
  • Extraordinary Measures
    In which Harrison Ford and Brendan Fraser prove that they're very much still alive and available for casting should you require their services. Do you require their services?
  • Gamera, The Giant Monster
    In which the giant turtle first takes flight. I remember loving this one on TV as a wee tyke but I'm not sure if it's the same one since there were quite a lot of those Japanese monster movies syndicated for television


  • Invictus
    In which Clint Eastwood teaches us about racial harmony, rugby and speech-making.
  • The Messenger
    In which Oren Moverman takes control after years of working on interesting movies as a screenwriter (I'm Not There, Jesus's Son)
  • The Road
    In which our beloved Viggo plays Man who tries to keep Boy alive in this ultra bleak post-apocalyptic film based on the absurdly great novel by Cormac McCarthy. Read it immediately if you haven't. One of my ten favorite books of all time.
  • The Spy Next Door
    In which something or other that's comical and action-packed happens to Jackie Chan. You know how he do.
  • True Blood: The Complete Second Season
    In which Sookie, Bill, and Eric rescue the vampire mythology from Twilight's sparkly whiny angst and return it to the land of danger and eroticism and perversity. In short: exactly where it belongs.
  • Valentine's Day
    In which CAA throw a huge party with all their repped talent, films it, and makes major bank.
What'll it be for you in your home theater? What'll it be for me?



you chose THE ROAD. Here's the write up.

23 comments:

notanotherblog said...

Samantha Morton movie please!

Robert Hamer said...

Whoa, this isn't like last time where I really wanted one of them to win. All of these titles could make insightful or hilarious writeups.

I think I'll vote for Dear John. Reviews of Nicholas Sparks movies make me laugh...if they're done right, that is.

David Coley said...

Gamera all the way.

Amir said...

can you please do the messenger? it's ranking highest among the movies anyway, but an analysis on it would be nice.
i think it was THE most underrated film of 2009.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

I like you too much to subject you to the pain of having to watch either Dear John or Extraordinary Measures.

Y Kant Goran Rite said...

Yikes. Are those the only options? I don't have a specific alternative to those, but really you could do a much more productive post. Maybe you boycott new releases until a decent film is released and fill that slot with a Bergman movie instead. You yourself said you want to catch up on some early and late Bergman. There's Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Smiles of a Summer Night for early. As for late, I really hope you've seen the death match between Ingrid Bergman and Liv Ullmann in Autumn Sonata. If you haven't, here's your chance. And if you have, I'm dying to hear (that is, read) your thoughts.

x

NATHANIEL R said...

y kant... i won't ignore older movies. just thought i should have a biweekly DVD feature since that's how the most people watch their new films.

Volvagia said...

The Road is one of your ten all time favourite books, Nat? Effective, yes, but way too under written for my tastes to grade that highly as a novel. I'll show you my ten as of now:

1. Gravity's Rainbow
2. Jude the Obscure
3. Underworld
4. Infinite Jest
5. The Children of Men
6. The Picture of Dorian Gray
7. The Alice in Wonderland Books
8. The Bone People
9. Johnny the Homicidal Maniac (Mostly for those heartwrenching, and sometimes funny, solioquies that are, in my opinion, the best since Shakespeare)
10. Watchmen

Volvagia said...

Those are near the end. He's giving speeches to his schizophrenic voices. I think, technically, that would count as a soliloquy and not just a monologue.

Volvagia said...

Why two comic books? They have a place. They shouldn't destroy classic literature, but some are important to read.

The Rest of the 20:

11. Don Quixote
12. Persepolis
13. Coraline
14. Scud: The Disposable Assassin
15. The Road
16. Scott Pilgrim (May wind up in the ten after final book evaluated.)
17. Black Hole
18. 1984.
19. Odd Thomas (Too slight to remain for long.)
20. Survivor. (Really is Palahniuk's masterwork, even if that's not saying much.)

cal roth said...

Voted The Messenger because of Samantha Morton.

Andrea said...

Truuuue Blood - so appropriate as the third season draws close. ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Jenn said...

A review on Valentine's Day could be hilarious. If not, the I'd go with The Road.

Rich Aunt Pennybags said...

I voted The Messenger too because of Samantha Morton. It would have been nice, imo, if she had made it in over Maggie Gyllenhaal since I think she was very close to that last spot. Not that I don't think Gyllenhaal should have been nominated someday, but not for Crazy Heart, but I would have been happier with a Morton nomination there since I think the IB women had too much vote splitting between that two to get in.

NATHANIEL R said...

Volvagia -- but the "underwriting" i.e. McCarthy's minimalism in that book, is one of its most brilliant strokes. It's so spare that you just feel the emptiness and you fill in so much.

i just love love love it

some of my other fav books:
THE GREAT GATSBY
BELOVED
ONE! HUNDRED!! DEMONS!!! (anything Lynda Barry really)
ME TALK PRETTY ONE DAY

Sebastian said...

I voted for "The Messenger." It's a brilliant film, and it needs to be seen/discussed more. I know the big war film of the year was "The Hurt Locker," but for my money, this film trumped it. So vote for it, people! Pretty please?

Deborah said...

My choice never wins. :(

Lucky said...

Man, I have issues with The Messenger. It started really good, but what happened in the second half of the film? I felt it was very different tonally than the first part and the characters didn't seem to have reasons for doing the things they did. It lost me.

Josh said...

Do you think Terrence Malick would be a great choice to direct a Cormac Mccarthy novel.

Andrew R. said...

Spy Next Door.

Come on people! Vote for the crappiest one!

Volvagia said...

Malik directing McCarthy? Well, Suttree's the only thing left, really, that's anywhere close to Malik's stylistic identity that wouldn't be rejected for funding. (Filmgoers passed on The Border Trilogy and Blood Meridian is too far away from Malik's style.)

NATHANIEL R said...

deborah... what's your choice this time out of curiousity?

it's still cloes between THE ROAD and TRUE BLOOD with MESSENGER trailing in 3rd. still time to vote (there's a lot more than 300 readers so I'm not sure why so few people click a button for a poll ;)

gabrieloak said...

I loved The Messenger. I recommended the film to practically everyone I know after I saw it.

If not that, I would definitely like to see you go in the opposite direction and write something about Dear John and the many awful movies based on Nicholas Sparks books (I think Dear John is based on one of his books?)