Tuesday, May 11, 2010

DVD: Legions of Doctors With Dark Edges and Days Broken

I have two DVD assignments I haven't completed but I have them on my docket of many things to write about (per your requests: An Education and Bad Lieutenant await) but you can give me another one today because sometimes I play like this is The Masochist Experience* Here are some movies that have arrived on DVD in the past week or so. Which will you be watching and which one do you want to read me writin' about? I'm not offering up Nine the musical as an option since I've already written so much about it though secretly I'm kinda eager to see it again. Don't hate. I just really don't believe it's as terrible as people made it out to be. Oscar season does weird things to consensus.


the new stuff
  • Daybreakers -In which Ethan Hawke is vampiric and Willem Dafoe is...? What is Willem Dafoe. I sometimes do not know.
  • Doctor Zhivago (45th Anniversary Edition) -In which Omar Shariff and Julie Christie have an epic romance. I've actually never seen this. And it's strange that people don't talk about it more. It's actually one of the most successful pictures of all time. If you adjust for inflation it was a bigger hit than Avatar, Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Godfather. No joke!
  • Edge of Darkness -In which Mel Gibson unleashes his trademark whoopass on bad guys... even though he never exactly behaves like a good guy himself.
  • Leap Year -In which Amy Adams and Matthew So Goode earn paychecks.
  • Legion -In which Paul Bettany is a badass angel fighting God's supernatural devils or something. I don't really understand what's going on here, theologically or otherwise.
  • Tooth Fairy -In which The Rock continues being the modern day equivalent of Ahnuld: action flicks alternating with jokey family flicks.


* I have a lot on my plate but I am unemployed at the moment so I am going to wrap up all the things I've been lagging on. I know what they are...

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I voted for Legion because it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I want someone to share my pain.

RJ said...

No, Nine really was that bad.

Andrew K. said...

No, Nine really WASN'T that bad (I couldn't resist, RJ). I'd love to here your thoughts on Doctor Zhivago. Omar, Julie, David=excellence, for me at least even though I know the film has its issues.

Anonymous said...

why are right-wing interest groups advertising on this site? :(

Derreck said...

Nine was OK. Loved the musical numbers....except anything with DDL. yikes. There's so much problems with the film, but there are also so much highlights.

Anyways, what a HORRIBLE modern film selection. lol. i'd watch Nine ten times than either of them.

Robert Hamer said...

Oh, I'm so glad Dr. Zhivago is winning right now. I'm not really a fan of the film, but I'd much rather read Nat's thoughts on a horribly flawed classic than any of the recent throwaway, instantly forgettable crap that's offered in this poll.

Erich Kuersten said...

The only good part of Dr. Z is Klaus Kinski and the very poetic-realist lengthy train scene. But oh, that's only 20 or so minutes. There's... so much mor...zzzzzzzzz

I voted TOOTH FAIRY! I want to see it get the NR clear-eyed treatment.

Glenn Dunks said...

I voted Daybreakers because it's Australian, it's actually better than you expect AND everyone should have to watch Claudia Karvan in as many things as humanly possible. It should be a law.

Mat said...

I actually really enjoyed Nine. It didn't get here until after the Oscars, so I wasn't viewing it in the context of awards season. I feel like when people watch it in the future, not going in expecting this extravagant baity thing, they'll actually have a lot of fun with it. I'm looking forward to buyign the DVD.

cal roth said...

You know you have to see Dr. Zhivago.

But it's the only flawed big movie David Lean has ever made. Even Ryan's Daughter is marvelous.

And it's flawed, but you gotta love Julie Christie & Omar Sharif in it.

ShoNuff Lives said...

i voted for dr. zhivago, but i'd love to see an epic takedown of legion. i saw that drunk, and it was hilarious. just batshit insane, in a delightfully bad way.

Timothy Marshall said...

Damnit, Doctor Zhivago? I voted Tooth Fairy. Are none of you as sadistic as me?

vg21 said...

Nathaniel, I also can't wait to see Nine again, so no hate here :). I liked it, especially the musical numbers and it's definitely has to be in my collection. Okay, not another Chicago, but why should it be?

badmotherfucker said...

Yeah, Nine was so much better than critics would have you believe. I actually enjoyed it more than Chicago (minus CZJ) -- though in no way am I saying it's a better film.