Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Link Crazy Pt. 2: Randomness

Cinema Blend Katey Rich on Sex & The City 2's wardrobe budget "Marie Antoinette might call it a little much."
As Little As Possible Dan Zak on I Am Love "I kind of love the whole movie, either in spite of or because it is such a bald stab at profound auterism, and an exploitation of the visual mysteries of Swinton."
Peer to Peer an interesting interview piece on the decisions behind promotional materials for Red Cliff and Tilda Swinton's star turn in the glorious I Am Love
Kenneth in the (212) "If I had a gun" post = hilariously succinct evisceration of not one but two summer movies


SLatIFR interesting piece on different types of film buffs and where their limits are in terms of interest and history
The Fug Girls Juliette Binoche in The English Patient and at Cannes 2010
Hollywood Elsewhere Blue Valentine press business. I wonder about this "Cannes bounce" apparently the film is shorter now than when I saw it at Sundance. Seven minutes can make a huge difference in how a film plays. Must see it again

offcinema diversions
izasmile makes funny (well, several of them) with Bill Gates and Steve Jobs
Broadway.com makes a 'top ten stage stars of the decade' list. Unfortunately the list should be titled 'top ten film/tv stars who also do stage'. You can't really do justice to the past decade in theater without mentioning Donna Murphy or Sutton Foster

television
The networks have been busy with "Upfronts" lately which means new shows are announced (Ken Levine has advice for the newbies) and old ones are axed. Did you see that ABC is doing a riff on Pixar's The Incredibles mashed up with The Fantastic Four's origin story? It's called No Ordinary Family and mom, dad, daughter and son get superpowers from some crazyweird accident.



Uh... good luck competing with memories of the incredible The Incredibles... although it shouldn't be too hard to wipe the floor with the awful and finally cancelled Heroes.

14 comments:

Robert Hamer said...

God dammit. Superheroes, superheroes, superheroes, and more superheroes. And they all assert having a "new take" on the material before being the same as all the others. I'M SICK OF IT!

NATHANIEL R said...

yeah. the genre really is being run into the ground. But there's such a mad desire for it that you know there must be great collective feeligns of impotency. super power are suddenly the fantasy panacea.

when i was a teenager it seemed like only adolescent geeks like me wanted superpowers ;) now everyone is a geek no matter what gender or age or anything

verninino said...

To paraphrase Incredi-Boy: When everyone's a geek, no one is.

Too bad it's ABC, I'd love to see HBO rock out a superheros series.

NoNo said...

I'm all for superheroes if they're clever and original. But it does seem to be getting all redundant like most of what Hollywood creates.

Random Thought #1: I have mixed feelings about Shia LaBeouf bashing Indy 4 and Transformers 2. On the one hand, it's good to know when artists realize that they've dropped the ball. Especially in the case of Blockbusters, because it seems that the common thought is "We'll give you big, expensive crap and you'll see it anyway."

On the other hand it Shia's comments can be seen as ungrateful and whiny. How do we know he won't say the same things about Wall Street 2 a few months from now?

Randomn Thought #2: Who the heck is Blake Lively's manager because she's been on the cover of Vogue twice in a little over a year.

NATHANIEL R said...

NoNo... well, that double duty trick didn't make Gretchen Mol a star. We'll see.

Deus Ex Machina said...

$10 Million dollars? of clothes?!!! I never believed for a second that someone like Carrie Bradshaw, whose main income is her writing, would be able to dress labely every day. But now that she married up it makes sense that her allowance for clothes would be larger.

Liz said...

Audra McDonald is on that list.

And I don't know, that seemed like a fair list to me, except for Hugh Jackman and maybe Laura Linney. Yes, Sutton Foster and Donna Murphy are treasures, but if the article's definition is "actors who put butts in seats," not a bad list. Maybe not fair to the lesser-knowns, but staying within the article's "rules."

Liz said...

Forgot to add: at least they stuck to actors whose primary passion seems to be the stage. As opposed to someone like Denzel Washington.

NATHANIEL R said...

Liz... good call. and oops on Audra McDonald. I guess i should read my carefully. I didn't understand that they were saying "most bankable"

to me that's a useless article to write. because most bankable is already there for you in the hits... you know? it' slike why not do a "most influential" or "essential"

its like the american music awards going to whatever album sold the most. it's like DUH. YOU DON'T NEED AN AWARDS SHOW. JUST LOOK AT SALES FIGURES.

anyway blahhhhh. i just needed to vent. I love Broadway but it has been pissing me off something solid for several years now and i seem to be going less and less.

Unknown said...

I apologize for saying that I really enjoyed the preview for No Ordinary Family. I am a sucker for this stuff. It's a good looking cast. "I have a lair" is a nice guy.

I'm sure Racialicious is going to jump on the whole 'black sidekick' thing, and rightly so.

But it makes me want to watch. I'm so, so, sorry.

Deborah said...

Oops, that "Win Prizes" was me. I was logged in from work. Tres embarrassing.

NATHANIEL R said...

who is this actress in the ORDINARY FAMILY preview? she looks so familiar but i can't place her.

Rich Aunt Pennybags said...

I apologize for saying that I really enjoyed the preview for No Ordinary Family. I am a sucker for this stuff. It's a good looking cast. "I have a lair" is a nice guy.

Yes, I feel bad for wanting it to succeed based on what I've seen and read so far even if superheroes are played out. It seems to be getting the best press thus far though out of all the shows screened for the upfronts, and it would be nice to see Michael Chiklis in a series again. (Although I hope it doesn't bring up any bad memories of the Fantastic Four movies back.) Plus, you can't go wrong with Darla, right?

NATHANIEL R said...

DARLA. that's who it is. thank you.

yay. ok. maybe now i'll watch ;)