Monday, May 10, 2010

Cannes Coverage Cometh

We're not in the south of France (sniffle) but we'll make do through the magic of the internet to cover Cannes as it happens.


Robert
, who writes that terrific Modern Maestros series, has volunteered to keep you up to date on Cannes reactions as they progress. The festival stretches from May 12th through the 23rd.

<--- In addition to Robert's roundups, we'll have a few visits from a special French correspondent Julien (left) who will be attending the famous fest and dropping us little bits when he can.

Please be generous with your comments to keep them going. Festivals are exhausting and comments are like fuel. So are food and sleep but festivals leave little time for either of those.

I'll pipe in if I have something extra that needs saying.

The festival kicks off Wednesday night with Ridley Scott's "untold story" (er????) Robin Hood. The closing night film is The Tree. In that film, Charlotte Gainsbourg returns to grieving mode as a newly widowed mother. While it's true she was just raging with that painful emotion last year, this should be a good one and nothing at all like Von Trier's provocation. The film is by Julie Bertucelli, director of the sensitive and subtly moving Georgian film Since Otar Left which you should check out if you haven't. It's very good.

Finally, I don't know if you've heard this but the Cannes festival has added a Queer Palm to the awards they're going to be giving out this year. I guess they're taking a cue from Berlin and Venice, two A list European festivals that have long had a queer prize among their coveted laurels. Wanna bet that Xavier Dolan (I Killed My Mother) takes it for Les Amours Imaginaires?

12 comments:

James T said...

That's great!

I'm going to start fueling: Julien looks cute :p

RJ said...

That trailer is amazing ... but Xavier Dolan gives me serious shame. Like, how old is he again? WTF am I doing with my life?

John T said...

Yeah, I had the same idea James T-I actually thought he was some attractive young director at Cannes before I saw that he was one of the contributors. :)

NATHANIEL R said...

RJ -- i think he is 22 now? and on his second directorial feature.

argh.

Alex Constantin said...

Romania is gonna rock Un Certain Regard with 2 movies... and it won it 2 1/2 times in the past 5 years.

Arkaan said...

My god that's a good trailer.

Unknown said...

If there's one thing Britney, Betty White, Lindsey, and Glenda Jackson prove, it's that it's never too late to start anew, and never too early to be completely washed up and a total laughing stock.

Anonymous said...

Julien is hot. ;)

:$

NATHANIEL R said...

Arkaan -- isn't it just? why can't all trailers tease rather than show everything?

Kate_Sgulp! said...

R. Scott is not attending Cannes?

P.S. more Julien´s pics please ha!

Sadner said...

The trailer looks like a mixture of Almodovar and Wong Kar Wai. Looking forward to seeing it !!

Arkaan said...

Seriously. Hollywood makes trailers like they're rendering a five course meal on one plate. That trailer is a fine appetizer - but that's all they need to be.

Sadner, I'll echo that. I instantly thought Almodovar (those reds!) but there is definitely a Kar-Wai esque langour.

I'm officially hyped for this movie. And I still haven't seen the debut feature!