Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cannes Prizes? We'll Know Soon

Any guesswork?

Movie|Line thinks it'll be Apichatpong Weerasethakul's Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives but allows for Another Year, Biutiful or Un Homme Qui Crie (A Screaming Man) as spoilers. While most cinephiles would be happy with Weerasethakul winning something as major as the Palme D'Or but I've found in the past that predicting the winner based on what we know of the jury president's aesthetic -- in this case Tim Burton's -- is not always the best way to go. Burton and team (there are other people voting after all) could hand their prizes to virtually anything. We'll see.

Update You might be able to watch the closing ceremonies streaming here at around 1:00-1:15 pm EST time.

6 comments:

Andrew R. said...

Based solely on what I've heard, Biutiful or Screaming Man.

vg21 said...

I read mostly controversial reviews about almost every film in competition. The most postitive was Another Year, so I'll vote for that.

Michael W. said...

Palme d'Or: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
Grand Prix: Of Gods and Men
Actor: Javier Bardem
Actress: Jeong-hee Yoon
Director: Abbas Kiarostami
Screenplay: Mike Leigh

PJ said...

I think they'll go political this year. Propably a split palm to Of men and gods and Hors la loi. Both movies deal with the same subject from different aspects and it's a perfect diplomatic way to calm things down given the recent controversial outburst.
(I'm talking like ban ki-moon, aren't I? sorry..)

MattyD. said...

I kept hearing that "Of Gods and Men" is the one to beat for the Palme D'Or, but I've learned NEVER to trust predictions. Remember last year when everyone thought "A Prophet" or "Bright Star" would take it and it went to "The White Ribbon"? Like Sasha Stone's Oscar mantra: "Nobody Knows Anything," Cannes is a mystery.

Unknown said...

Yay for Weerasethakul! That makes me happy and I can't wait to see it.